are my defenses blocking a download?

sonsie

Hi,

I wanted to download some free software, and it gave me 2 choices:

1. Install from the Web is fast and small. It will download a small setup program and that program will then check your computer and will download only those files that are needed. (Click Install from Web, then select Run or Open in the download security box to install.)

OR

2. Full Setup is a single file that contains all files used by Legacy. This file is about 25.4 MB and will take longer to download. Some users may like the full setup even though it's larger. It can be copied to a CD or ZipDrive and be used to install Legacy on computers that do not have Internet access. (Click Download Full Setup, then select the Save File option and enter the location to save to.)

I chose the first, but because it really goes against my grain to 'run' or 'open', I told it to save and am hoping it doesn't matter.

Issue 1. The problem is the site said it would send me a password, and I would be asked to enter it sometime during the download process. But I never got the password. It's being sent to my email so I don't understand why. The site FAQs said if I have that problem that if I have spam-blocking software, to add their addy to the program's approved list. As far as I know, I don't have spam-blocking software, or would AdAware qualify? I don't have anything email-specific anyway. I have ewido, AVGfree, Win Defender, AdAware, Kerio firewall, and a router firewall.

Issue 2. Also, I have confidence that the site is safe, but again, it goes against my grain to add an addy to any approved site list, unless *I* think of it. Makes me a bit paranoid if a website tells me that in order to get this or use that that I have to approve them.

Issue 3. IF you guys say everything looks cool and to approve them if I want the software, how do I do that? I understand the concept, but don't know which software might be blocking since I very rarely have this problem. In the past I've simply chosen to skip the software, but I want this progam.

sonsie

• Moderators

What is the software in question?

I know email systems can send mail to the Junk folder so check that.

Also some companies won't send mail to free email addresses like hotmail, opera mail, etc., for some unknown retarded reason.

It's Legacy Family Tree, Version 6.0. Yeah, I checked junk right away, and double checked just now.

As far as email addys, they printed it in red a couple of times on the dl page, and under 'help' for problems downloading, they clearly said as soon as I click on the product, an email is automatically sent. Hopefully they'd tell us if they had a prob with certain addys.

sonsie

btw...how are yas, Andavari? 8)

Going flipping crazy for a cigarette! It's been 30 hrs since I went cold turkey.

I'm impressed. Been there, done that, then left.

Drink fluids!

I can see you must be a bit frazzled. I'm still wondering about how to get the password. LOL

sonsie

Going flipping crazy for a cigarette! It's been 30 hrs since I went cold turkey.

Congrats! Me too! :D

(but I broke down and put a patch on yesterday :blink: )

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)