Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

On 20/08/2019 at 10:30, Picky Number 1 said:

Wow!   I understand your frustration scoobydog.  I encountered the identical problem around the same time as you (and others). I'm running an old free version (v5.01.5075, 64-bit) that I went back to when I found newer versions were getting too complicated for my needs.  When the problem first occurred, I noted that the Microsoft folks had pushed out an Office 365 update just prior to that corruption of all Office programs in Office directory (can't fathom why so many folks have jumped on the shortcut angle).  I didn't rule out that something in Office 365 changed that triggered the problem.  I searched for solutions and dabbled with some ideas for a day and opted to just stop using CCleaner.

Yesterday, I caught up on this thread that you started to see if a solution had been identified... nope.  So I read up on Office 365 functionality and set out to try a few things. I won't get into why I did what I did, but can say that uninstalling the OneDrive program from the problem PC got rid of the problem.  Ran CCleaner several times after removal and there was no corruption of the Office programs executables.  I went out to Microsoft, installed the latest OneDrive program, and ran CCleaner.  No corruption problem.  If you have OneDrive installed, I suggest giving this a shot.  If it works, I can fill you in on some of the install background here that got me on the path.  Good Luck!
RC   ASQ CSQE, CQA, CBA, CQIA (retired)

Just a quick note -- THIS WORKED for me today.  Not only did it fix the CCleaner problem, I noticed that Office 365 (now called Microsoft 365) loads a LOT faster now too.  🙂

11 hours ago, Alembic86 said:

Just a quick note -- THIS WORKED for me today.  Not only did it fix the CCleaner problem, I noticed that Office 365 (now called Microsoft 365) loads a LOT faster now too.  🙂

I don't have OneDrive installed.  Still experiencing the problem.  Have stopped using CCLeaner and my subscription will not be renewed in August.  Piriform have been consistently remiss in their handling of this issue and, although I'm unsurprised given the lax attitude to this problem, not a single mention of a refund of subscription.  I'm done with it.

I can't believe that this still has not been resolved. I have resolved the issue by moving on. Uninstalled paid and free copies (1 desktop & 2 laptops).

Now using [competition] (Free Version) & [competition] (Free Version) cleans well and ABSOLUTELY no Office problems. 

Edited by Nergal

• 4 weeks later...
I can confirm that c Cleaner corrupted my installation of office 2016 a year ago and again yesterday of office 2019. I had to buy another version. All the boxes concerning Office are well unchecked. I do not understand that such a serious problem persists for so long without solution and I will no longer use this software!

I am not an employee of Piriform, so this is just my humble opinion:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce the problem on any system, neither with Office 2016 nor 2019. I also tried to reproduce the problem in a virtual machine for several days, but this was not successful either. As far as I know Piriform cannot reproduce the problem either. So how do you want to fix a bug that cannot be reproduced on your system?

At least someone who always has this problem could help by finding out which cleaning rule is responsible for it. To find the cleaning rule, one could proceed as follows:

- Go to "Custom Clean", right-click on the name of the first section "Microsoft Edge" and select "Clean Microsoft Edge".
- Run Office to check if it is broken.
- If not, repeat with the next section ("Edge Chromium", "Internet Explorer", ...) until you find the responsible section.
- Repair the Office installation.
- Now right-click on the first cleaning rule of the responsible section and select "Clean <rule name>".
- Run Office to check if it is broken.
- If not, repeat with the next cleaning rule until you find the responsible cleaning rule.

This would not only help Piriform, but also all other affected users.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Grump said:

Did they ever fix this?

We had a few reports of problems which which were either:

1. Actually a case of someone removing a Windows shortcut and thinking that software had been uninstalled.
  2. Issues that seemed to be specific to particular users and that could not be reproduced with the information provided.

I don't think we've seen any cases pop up for over a year now.  It was interesting to note that:

• We didn't change anything relating to Microsoft Office temp file cleaning prior to these incidences being reported
  • Indeed, at least one report related to a version of CCleaner that was 5+ years old
  • We didn't change anything related to  Microsoft Office temp file cleaning prior to these incidences no longer being reported.

Which would lead one to conclude that something else was going on, quite possibly with OneDrive or some other third party software, that either Microsoft (or the relevant third party) has now fixed.  Given the massive size of both the CCleaner and Microsoft Office user base, if there was a systemic issue with CCleaner and Microsoft Office, we would have expected to see a lot more confirmed cases.

@Grumpthat said, are you experiencing any problems at the moment?  If so can you provide as much detail as possible please?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/08/2021 at 18:44, Dave CCleaner said:

@Grumpthat said, are you experiencing any problems at the moment?  If so can you provide as much detail as possible please?

I haven't used the program since this whole mess started and I got tired of reinstalling office. I was just curious to see if it had been resolved. Thanks for your reply.