Computer can't open recovered files

Ceinos

After accidentally ctrl-z ing away a folder full of photos I used recuva to get the files back.  The files were all there but when I try and view the photos my computer tells me that it doesn't support the format (they are all .jpgs, which shouldn't cause problems.) What happened? How can I get my pictures back?

• Moderators

To figure out the file system open:
1. This PC, then right-click the hard disk or SSD and select Properties.
2. In the window that opens near the top it will state what the File System is formatted as.

Examples:
File system: NTFS
File system: FAT32

I have a similar problem.  Only mine extends into PDFs, Excel, Word, and JPGs.  All of these come up as "corrupt" when I try to open them.  Anything that was a TXT file is readable.

My issue started with NextCloud.  I guess I had something set wrong and it was comparing my USB 2Tb drive (NTSF format) with the server.  It was deleting my files on my USB drive.  They all recovered without error according to the software onto another USB drive (also NTSF formating). I just feel like this is an encryption issue or something silly.

This is a pretty big deal for me as I have customer files, personal files, etc. on this drive that I would really like to recover.  Any hep or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Moderators

Possibly because the preview and the image are separate parts of the file. As has been said a zillion times before, Recuva will copy what's in the clusters on the disk without changing a single bit, so if the recovered copy is rubbish, so is the original.

In Recuva Advanced mode have a look at the Header pane. There should be the correct file signature, and header format, for the file type (don't ask me, use Google). If it isn't then the recovered file won't open.

• 2 months later...

Having the SAME issue.
Shift-Deleted a folder with active files I WORKED ON JUST NOW an noticed it immediately and started the RECUVA process.
All files were working 100% OK before deletion.

RECUVA identified all files correctly.
After recovery to a different hard drive - ALL FILES ARE REPORTED AS CORRUPT.
Only PDF and XLS files in folder.
Cannot access even ONE.

• Moderators

@henrikus, sadly the time between disaster and recovery makes very little difference.

AS SOON AS THE FILE IS DELETED the system is using that space straight away - yes the shorter the gap between those two milestones is, the better, but human speeds are no match for computer speeds.

RECUVA is no substitute for backups but sometimes, just sometimes, it can save your bacon - in your case it has not.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Admin

As Augeas mentioned previously, Recuva will faithfully recover what is there - but alas cannot recover what has already been overwritten.

That said, files that have have been damaged prior to recovery (these will usually be flagged as something other than "excellent" recoverability in your Recuva file list) may be able to be opened in alternative reader software that (by accident or design) is willing to ignore the damage.  Historically I found that WordPad would let me at least retrieve most of the text from partially recovered DOC files, for example.

In the Adobe forums, staff have previously recommended the third party PDF Repair Toolbox to repair damaged or corrupted PDF files (that are not password-protected or encrypted) to the point where they can at least be opened. I have had no personal experience with this tool and cannot comment if it merely fixes corrupted headers or will also allow files with partially wiped content to also be opened.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

I think with how Windows is constantly doing something in the background and writing data for anything work related it's possibly best to have a second disk drive to store such important works onto, or a separate disk partition. And then always have current backups (even multiple backups sets) in place stored off the computer onto "reliable" external/portable drives such as external hard disk drive or external SSD -- not USB Flash Drives however as they can be unreliable.

• 3 months later...

Today I used the program for the first time. My Note 4 took a dump and somehow did a factory reset and also deleted everything on my micro SD card. The program found over 1k files and almost 99% show as excellent bUT when I try to open them on the laptop I recovered all the data to it says that" we can't open this file" am I missing a step somewhere? 

• 4 months later...

Yup, confirmed that trim option is not disabled (as expected for anything other than very old SSDs or Windows XP OS).  So, as you explained, OS w/ TRIM wiped out files disk storage location space immediately upon deletion and they are fully gone.   Able to get back valid recover for very small files that stayed in the Master File Table/MFT.   Better than nothing.  I started this topic question and for me is done and can be closed out.    Thanks for the support.