Move system files away from end of external HDD

poosticks

I want to shrink the drive and create another partition on my external USB HDD but there are some system files sitting on the end there which won't move. And I can't (and probably don't want to) delete them.

These are $UsnJrnl:$J / $Secure:$SII / $ObjId:$O files. Defraggler won't move them with a Boot Time Defrag. Does anyone know how I can move them?

Thanks.

• Moderators

If they are on an external usb drive, I assume they are also kept in a more reliable internal drive?!

you could as you said, delete them, shrink the partition, and recreate them.

or copy, shrink and paste them.

or get a defrag program that allows individual files to be moved.

how did they get there in the first place?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi, thanks for your replies and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. The USB external drive is an NTFS formatted Buffalo HD-PCU2 500 GB. (Although the "Properties" tab for some reason says the capacity is only 465 GB).

001.JPG.88317dba974627167572168767fd4281.JPG

So, (in theory) I have about 65 GB of free space which I would like to format as Ext4 and use as a Linux partition. However, I cannot shrink the drive and partition it as these NTFS system files are sitting in two blocks at the end of the drive.

002.JPG.fd696ed2630da856a4ca218eff3b1bc9.JPG

I should have also explained that my Windows OS is Vista SP2 (Home Premium). I'm intending to install Linux Mint as a dual boot in another partition on the C: drive.

The easiest thing, as has been said, would be to move the existing files and re-format and partition the drive. But I don't have another 500 GB drive available. Yes, I know I really should invest in more storage, but money's a bit tight at the moment. 

Some time ago I did have the free version of PerfectDisk which probably would have moved these files. My trial expired and I don't want to pay for the full version.

I think I'm resigned to the fact that I will just have to find the cash for another HDD !

• Moderators

Cheap/reliable HDD's, just buy a name brand you're already familiar with. As with any HDD as soon as you get it don't put anything on it right away, instead run chkdsk /r on the drive first to check for any possible errors.

On 20/10/2018 at 03:02, Andavari said:

Cheap/reliable HDD's, just buy a name brand you're already familiar with. As with any HDD as soon as you get it don't put anything on it right away, instead run chkdsk /r on the drive first to check for any possible errors.

Thanks Andavari. Good advice.