RE: Cleaning Word Shortcuts

etiennehu

When you finish with a Word (new or old) or insert jpg's into a new one, Windows creates a shortcut for the doc and/or jpg. It deletes them after 60 days, but that's much too long to wait. I tried to get CCleaner to do the job by using the Custom feature and adding the folder where they're located - C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent - but it doesn't get rid of the shortcuts. I have to delete them manually or wait 60 days. Can someone tell me how to do it with CCleaner or some other way?

Hell and welcome :)

Which version of CCleaner are you using? Are you saying that your recent documents aren't being cleaned?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

etiennehu

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent
Doesn't look like the correct path. Which version of Windows and which version of Office are you using?

EDIT: Oops! The most obvious possibility ... did you remember to enable Cleaner > Windows > Advanced > Custom Files and Folders?

etiennehu

Doesn't look like the correct path. Which version of Windows and which version of Office are you using?

EDIT: Oops! The most obvious possibility ... did you remember to enable Cleaner > Windows > Advanced > Custom Files and Folders?

Hi guys,

#1 - I'm using CCleaner v1.29 - The shortcuts from the Recent Word docs aren't being cleaned

#2 - I'm using Windows 98 and Office 2000 - Also, I don't use Internet Explorer so I don't have CCleaner running from within IE.

• Moderators

Hi guys,

#1 - I'm using CCleaner v1.29 - The shortcuts from the Recent Word docs aren't being cleaned

#2 - I'm using Windows 98 and Office 2000 - Also, I don't use Internet Explorer so I don't have CCleaner running from within IE.

There really shouldn't be a reason for CCleaner not cleaning out that folder because every MS Office entry it has lists this folder to clean:

FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*

However, since it isn't working here's what I want you to do:

1. Open Notepad. Note: If you already have the optional winapp2.ini file installed instead open it with Notepad!

2. Copy and paste the winapp2.ini entry I created for you that's listed in the Code below into either the empty Notepad window, or into the already open winapp2.ini file.:

[MS Office Recent Files]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OfficeDefault=TrueFileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*FileKey2=%windir%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*; Description: This is a custom entry to only remove MS Office Recent Files,;			  it should work on any version of Windows and with MS Office 97;			  and above.

3. If you don't have a winapp2.ini save this information into (including the quotes): "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp2.ini"

or if you already have winapp2.ini open just click Save.

4. Run CCleaner and see if it will remove the Office Recent Files.

I hope my instructions were clear.

Did you remember to enable Cleaner > Windows > Advanced > Custom Files and Folders?

See screenshot

Hi Glenn,

Thanks a lot man! - The screenshot did the trick - I wasn't sure how to do that. Now it's working fine. Thanks again!

There really shouldn't be a reason for CCleaner not cleaning out that folder because every MS Office entry it has lists this folder to clean:

FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*

However, since it isn't working here's what I want you to do:

1. Open Notepad. Note: If you already have the optional winapp2.ini file installed instead open it with Notepad!

2. Copy and paste the winapp2.ini entry I created for you that's listed in the Code below into either the empty Notepad window, or into the already open winapp2.ini file.:

[MS Office Recent Files]LangSecRef=3021Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OfficeDefault=TrueFileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*FileKey2=%windir%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*; Description: This is a custom entry to only remove MS Office Recent Files,;			  it should work on any version of Windows and with MS Office 97;			  and above.

3. If you don't have a winapp2.ini save this information into (including the quotes): "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp2.ini"

or if you already have winapp2.ini open just click Save.

4. Run CCleaner and see if it will remove the Office Recent Files.

I hope my instructions were clear.

Thanks Andavari,

I really appreciate your help, but Glenn's screenshot showed me the way - All is well.