Anti-spyware Corruption

marsmi

My ISP provides a free security suite that includes anti-virus by Computer Associates, anti-spyware by Pest Control, pop-up blocker, parental control, and incoming/outgoing email virus scan (last three proprietary thru ISP.) When I ran CCleaner (latest version released 5/3/06) my anti-spy would no longer scan. I could access the security suite, and all other functions worked fine, but the anti-spy just refused to work. I had to uninstall that portion of the security suite, go to the ISP help site, download and reinstall the anti-spy software. Even tried deactivating the anti-spy by itself and then the entire security suite until CCleaner was finished. Made no difference. The anti-spy won't scan after CCleaner does its thing. Needless to say, it's an inconvenience to have to reinstall the anti-spy each time I use CCleaner, especially since I like them both. Any thoughts or suggestions? :(

I personally wouldnt install such a "software suite offered for free by ISP".

That dont sound good in my ears, heh. :P

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Are you installing the programs in the default locations and away from temp files? Thats about the only thing it could be.

Thanks for the quick reply. Forgot to mention I had CCleaner version 1.28.277 previously installed and everything worked fine. I used the FileHippo.com link to upgrade to 1.29.295 when the anti-spy problems began. In addition to temporarily deactivating first the anti-spy and then the entire suite, I completely uninstalled the upgraded 1.29.295, ran a search thru files and folders and deleted everything related to CCleaner, and finally did a regedit and deleted all mention of CCleaner. I then started from scratch and downloaded a clean (not upgraded) version of 1.29.295 but the anti-spy problems persisted.

Will you do me a favor?

1. First do a disk cleanup to remove some of the junk.

2. Then Analyze with CCleaner but don't clean anything.

3. When the Analyze results are displayed will you take a screen shot and post them here? That way we can see where CCleaner is removing the files from.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I personally wouldnt install such a "software suite offered for free by ISP".

That dont sound good in my ears, heh. :P

The software that he is referring to is fine. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Will you do me a favor?

1. First do a disk cleanup to remove some of the junk.

2. Then Analyze with CCleaner but don't clean anything.

3. When the Analyze results are displayed will you take a screen shot and post them here? That way we can see where CCleaner is removing the files from.

Sorry to be such a bother but most guys think us females usually are! :lol: Anyway, here's the screen shot. There's not a whole lot to see because I run disk cleanup a few times a week as well as deleting cookies, files and history via control panel -> internet options just about every day. Hope this helps, and thanks to everyone who's been kind enough to reply. Even you, Mr. Eldmannen! ;)

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (2.117 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.08MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)

IE Temporary Internet Files (368 files) 2.00MB

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@advertising[1].txt 293 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@atdmt[2].txt 96 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@ccleaner[2].txt 359 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@doubleclick[1].txt 82 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@forum.ccleaner[1].txt 118 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@mediaplex[1].txt 79 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@sbc.yahoo[1].txt 182 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@tribalfusion[1].txt 241 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@www.yahoo[1].txt 150 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\dell@yahoo[1].txt 1.34KB

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\desktop.ini 113 bytes

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Cookies\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\rtdrvmon.exe 40.00KB

C:\DOCUME~1\dell\LOCALS~1\Temp\qdiagd.log 159 bytes

C:\DOCUME~1\dell\LOCALS~1\Temp\rtdrvmon.exe 40.00KB

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemess.log 2.93KB

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wmiprov.log 67 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\0.log 0 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\setupact.log 60 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log 0 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log 504 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\9QQVDY2D\i1.yimg.com\us.yimg.com\i\us\plus\swf\pcm\011106.swf\vidplayer.sol 202 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#i1.yimg.com\settings.sol 81 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol 329 bytes

There it is! rtdrvmon.exe is in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

What Is Rtdrvmon.exe and Why Is It Used in Lexmark Software? ID:ENUS17808

Rtdrvmon.exe is a low-level scanner driver that enables scanning for the Lexmark X1150 and other Lexmark All-In-One devices. For an explanation of its behavior, please refer to the information below.

* The software needs this file in order to perform scanning operations, which is why the software re-extracts the file when it detects that it has been deleted. After re-extraction, the file is placed in the \windows\temp folder.

* The file is embedded as a resource in one of the .DLLs and is unpacked as required on the system.

Lexmark is not attempting to hide anything in this little program.

IMPORTANT: Lexmark's software does not support or employ any sort of "spy software" - we do not gather information about the user's system, and we do not under any circumstances send user information of any kind over the Internet to Lexmark or anywhere else.

I personally would store the driver somewhere else. (btw I'm a girl too ;) )

Read more here

Read more here

Also, as a safety measure put a copy of that file somewhere safe so that you don't have to keep reinstalling your software if a problem occurs again. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am a little unclear about how that files works after reading other sites. That file should be replacing itself I think?

• Moderators

That file will also appear if you have a Dell Printer/Scanner that's actually just a re-badged Lexmark.

I don't remember completely since I just ignore the file on my system, but I could've sworn it said somethink like RealTek in it which baffled me because I don't have any RealTek hardware (soundcard, etc) on my system, but maybe I'm wrong. Don't know, ain't worried about it.

That file will also appear if you have a Dell Printer/Scanner that's actually just a re-badged Lexmark.

I don't remember completely since I just ignore the file on my system, but I could've sworn it said somethink like RealTek in it which baffled me because I don't have any RealTek hardware (soundcard, etc) on my system, but maybe I'm wrong. Don't know, ain't worried about it.

Yeah, it's real-tek too. It's kind of a multi-purpose bugger. hehehe