using the issues function

drhayden1

i've used ccleaner for years and it has always kept my system clean......my main concern is the issues function regarding the registry.........i have screwed up my computers in the past messing with the registry......what is the best thing to do.....i don't want to mess with it if not necessay....i know i have some stuff there since i just did a complete system operating restore with drivers......thanks :D<_<

Before you delete anything, CCleaner will automatically prompt you to make a backup, and it will even label it with the date.

Also, when dealing with the Issues tab, keep in mind that it may have to be run several times (as in, Scan, clean, scan again,) in order to fully clean the dead registry values.

Actually, in my experience, I've never noticed a difference after using the Issues tab, no issues either, though, so I suppose I just do it for the sake of "cleaning up."

i did a scan on the issues.....and it came up with a bunch of missing shared dll's.......unused file extensions.......invalid file extensions.......invailid default icons...activeX/com issues.........open with applications issues.........applications path issues......obsolute path issues............haven't made a back-up folder or cleaned it yet........before i heard from someone here .......is it safe to remove these....cause in the past....some registry cleaners will remove stuff that will screw up your system registry and cause errors like it has for me in the past and i don't have any registry cleaner anymore on my system except what ccleaner has.....and ccleaner and retail webroot window washer are the only 2 system cleaners i use.....ccleaner being "NO.1".......any help and advice would be appreciated BEFORE i do anything............thanks for the above quick reply.............. :huh::blink::P

You didn't say what OS you have, but if it's Windows NT/2000/2003/XP, running NT File System, you could back up your registry with ERUNT. Then you wouldn't need to worry anymore, by default it makes backups that can be accessed from the Recovery Console. Tha means you can restore the registry even if Windows won't boot anymore. Download: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

All that stuff that came up is almost certainly safe to delete - but I can understand your hesitancy.

xp2........basically a system restore will do the same thing won't it......i have a restore point right after i installed the new operating system and drivers which i can use...................i will go ahead and clean the issues and create a back-up folder just in case.......but i NEVER have had any problems with ccleaner..........

I've never needed to restore any of the backups I've made of registry entries CCleaner removed, so I really do think it's quite safe. With CCleaner backups and System Restore you're doubly covered in case of problems - unless something removed from the Registry cripples your OS so badly that it won't even boot up. That's why I suggested ERUNT, with it you'd have all eventualities covered - not that I think you need it. I have it - and I've never used those backups either. But I'm a paranoid... :unsure::lol:

I've never needed to restore any of the backups I've made of registry entries CCleaner removed, so I really do think it's quite safe. With CCleaner backups and System Restore you're doubly covered in case of problems - unless something removed from the Registry cripples your OS so badly that it won't even boot up. That's why I suggested ERUNT, with it you'd have all eventualities covered - not that I think you need it. I have it - and I've never used those backups either. But I'm a paranoid... :unsure::lol:

I have never had to restore my backups either. I make a back up (even tho I have ERUNT too for high security, LOL) and after a few days when everything is running good I delete the backup. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

well....it's been a week or so and after using the issues function and all .......my amd athlon 64 bit dual core alienware laptop is still singing along like brand new.................thanks for the help and free or not free ccleaner is here on my computer(of course without the toolbar) :rolleyes::lol:

Using CCleaner 'ISSUES' has only caused me one problem.. (Several times.) All I did to eliminate the problem was to go to 'Registry Integrity' tab at the top of Issues screen....and UNCHECK 'Active X and Class Issues'. I no longer have ANY problems. Do not know the reason.. (Win XP Home, 512 RAM, SP-1) :)

Rich22: What problem was it? CCleaner's issues scan should not actually cause problems. Also, if removing an ActiveX/Class issue causes a problem, does merging the registry backup fix it? With this information we could work toward fixing the problem you had.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

By using XP 'Restore', I was able to get back to normal.. I wish I was more of an expert to address this better. i DO remember it got rid of something that did not allow me to do certain things like play 'POGO' games, (POGP.COM) avid poker and chess freak. Maybe I'll try it again, and get more specific info! It is a great program. (Now if it would only flush the DNS resolver files, and events log..) LOL.. :) Nah..It's fine like it is....