Add Option in CCleaner Free to Disable Emergency Updater

lmacri

Please add an option in the CCleaner Free settings that would allow users to disable the new Emergency Updater added in v5.36.

My understanding is that advanced users can disable the scheduled "CCleaner Update" task in the Windows Task Scheduler but that this task could be automatically re-enabled after a product update. User need a check box added to the settings so that they can easily and permanently disable this feature.

There are many CCleaner Free users who just want a simple, on-demand disk cleaner that they can use for occasional temp file cleaning and browser cookie management.  I have already disabled all automatic cleaning features (System Monitoring and Active Monitoring) at Options | Monitoring, and if I want to check for available updates from within the CCleaner program I can enable Automatically Check for Updates to CCleaner at Option | Settings.

I understand that Piriform / Avast added this Emergency Updater to perform forced updates in a "worse-case scenario", but I would much rather that they improve their acceptance testing and release management to minimize the possibility that the "security incident in September" (the euphemism used in the v5.36 announcement <here>) doesn't happen again. I have serious misgivings about having yet another digitally signed, white-listed Piriform executable (CCUpdate.exe) that loads into memory at boot-up and has unrestricted access through my firewall, and I would appreciate having the option to disable the Emergency Updater in my settings if I choose to do so.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2 * CCleaner Free 5.35.6210

Please add an option in the CCleaner Free settings that would allow users to disable the new Emergency Updater added in v5.36.

+

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Guest Stephen CCleaner

I understand that Piriform / Avast added this Emergency Updater to perform forced updates in a "worse-case scenario", but I would much rather that they improve their acceptance testing and release management to minimize the possibility that the "security incident in September" (the euphemism used in the v5.36 announcement <here>) doesn't happen again. I have serious misgivings about having yet another digitally signed, white-listed Piriform executable (CCUpdate.exe) that loads into memory at boot-up and has unrestricted access through my firewall, and I would appreciate having the option to disable the Emergency Updater in my settings if I choose to do so.

This change is not the only measure we have taken to improve security. All hardware has been replaced (development and non-development staff). The network hardware has been replaced and the infrastructure rebuilt from scratch. All passwords have been changed and additional compulsory authentication methodologies enforced. The build system has been rebuilt from scratch on more secure infrastructure. The Emergency Updater is built and maintained within different infrastructure. All build infrastructures are being reinforced with security measures to protect against and detect supply-chain attack.

A worst-case scenario, however unlikely, is that these steps could prove insufficient. The updater runs as a scheduled task. You can disable this task if you do not wish to be automatically protected in a worst-case scenario.

My understanding is that advanced users can disable the scheduled "CCleaner Update" task in the Windows Task Scheduler but that this task could be automatically re-enabled after a product update. User need a check box added to the settings so that they can easily and permanently disable this feature...

...The updater runs as a scheduled task. You can disable this task if you do not wish to be automatically protected in a worst-case scenario.

Hi Stephen Piriform:

Thank you for the info on additional security measures taken since September 2017.

Further to your suggestion, would the CCleaner Update task have to be disabled every time a new CCleaner update is installed?

Does disabling the CCleaner Update task also prevent CCUpdate.exe from loading into memory at boot-up, or does it simply prevent the executable from "calling home" once a day to check for an emergency update?

-----------

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2 * CCleaner Free 5.35.6210