Real-time Malware protection

razz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, in this day and age it's a very good idea to have real-time malware protection.  As far as I've been able to determine, there is only one anti-malware program that offers FREE real-time protection, that is Reason Core Security.  It's worth mentioning that although the free version has real-time protection, it does not enable you to remove any threat that a scan may find.

I have 3 questions:

1) Has anyone here any experience with Reason Core Security, if so, what is your opinion?

2) Do you know of any other FREE anti-malware program that includes real-time protection?

3) If it's necessary to pay for real-time malware protection, is Zemana Anti-Malware a great choice?  The reason I mention Zemana is because I am able to get a very good deal, at least a good deal in my opinion   :)

As always, thanks for your time.

• Moderators

I'll give you my responses just for completeness;

1) actually never heard of them, so that makes one ask "Why?", maybe new kid on the block, maybe my head has been in the sand, but maybe something else...

2) have never seen free pro-active protection for malware, re-active are everywhere.

3) I have played with Zemana and if I didn't already have MBAM Premium, that would be my second choice.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I've heard of Reason Core, it's from the makers of HerdProtect.

I personally wouldn't use a "free" scanner if it's completely crippled without the ability for removal, in this sense "free" should actually be considered as a demo.

2) have never seen free pro-active protection for malware, re-active are everywhere.

3) I have played with Zemana and if I didn't already have MBAM Premium, that would be my second choice.

2) I also had never seen free real-time protection from any anti-malware program.

3) Yes, Zemana seems really good.  Some reports claim it to be better than MBAM.  Hazel has said that she uses Zemana for real-time protection.

I personally wouldn't use a "free" scanner if it's completely crippled without the ability for removal, in this sense "free" should actually be considered as a demo.

I tend to agree with you Andavari.  Not being able to finish off a scan with getting rid of any reported threats, does indeed suck!  I was hoping someone would say: "I have been using xyz anti-malware with free real-time protection for years and I absolutely love it...here is the link..."   :D

Do you use real-time protection for malware or just perform frequent on demand scans?

• Moderators

I currently use MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit 'stand alone beta' version. (Alongside Windows Defender).

This works by constantly looking for 'unauthorised' activity on your system and stopping it.

So rather than scanning your PC for malware it stops malware from running - whether it tries to run from your PC, from a browser, or from a downloaded document that you open.

When MBAE detects a shielded application being exploited it automatically stops the malicious code from executing. Once the malicious code is stopped, it will close the attacked application. We do this for stability as an attacked application might not function properly after experiencing a vulnerability exploit attempt.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136424-frequently-asked-questions/

At the moment this free version limits it's protection to the more popular browsers (and their plug-ins), and to javascript, but it will become fully functional when it updates to v1.10. in the near future.

What has happened is the previous paid for version of MBAE has now been incorporated into the full MalwareBytes v3.

So the free stand alone will get all the functionality of the previous Premium version, in perpetual beta status.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191789-mbae-standalone-malwarebytes-30-release/

You can download the latest (v1.09.1.1386) from here:

https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/y7nz7lj7xxryfoyqlg4r2544151rt0tx

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

1. If wanting a free malware protection perhaps install Avira Browser Safety into compatible web browsers since browsers is how most malware gets onto the system. Note for Firefox you have to download and install it from the Avira website, it isn't on the Firefox addons website yet for whatever reason. For Chrome/Chromium download it from the Chrome Web Store.

2. Then you could use Malwarebytes Free for scanning and removal.

I personally stick with Windows Defender since I am on Windows 10. The creators update did some nice improvements to it, although I think it was mostly UI/GUI updates. Years ago, I use to use tons of protections, like have Malwarebytes pro, Super antispyware pro, Avira, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, some Firefox extensions, but over time, I realize that getting hit by malware if very rare so as long as you safe search and use virustotal more often for those unknown sites/files. Now I just use Windows Defender because it is built into Windows 10 and works just fine.

It seems a lot of AVs are licensing themselves under the BitDefender engine. I usually just avoid those type of AVs because they always seem the type to be "let's see how much money we can make using someone else engine". You can view all the AVs and what engine they use here: https://www.av-comparatives.org/av-vendors/

By the way, I noticed Reason Core Security isn't on that list.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

1. If wanting a free malware protection perhaps install Avira Browser Safety

2. Then you could use Malwarebytes Free for scanning and removal.

1) After you had mentioned that in another post, I installed Avira Browser Safety on my Chrome browser.

2) I will continue to use Malwarebytes Free for on demand scans.

@ nukecad: thanks for your input.  I do use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as another on-demand scan.

@ Rocknroll: there is for sure something to be said about your setup, but I just feel better having more protection.

My final decision, as of this afternoon: I purchased a license for Zemana Anti-Malware.  The offer I was given was just way too good to pass up,  So now I'll be running ZAM along with KTS (Kaspersky Total Security 2017) and will continue to do on-demand scans periodically with some other apps previously mentioned in this post and others.  Perhaps an overkill but, like I said, an offer I couldn't refuse!

Thanks again for all your help.

• Moderators
I do use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as another on-demand scan.

?

As I said above MBAE does not scan on demand, it runs all the time and watches for malware trying to run on, and make changes to, your machine.

Again from the MBAE FAQ's -

MBAE does not need to scan your hard-drive in search of malware. MBAE is a real-time only permanent protection against vulnerability exploits and malware execution.

If you are only turning it on at certain times then it is not protecting you the rest of the time.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043