Picasa2

Canary

I've just installed Picasa2. While it seems to be a great program, it has slowed down the start-up of my computer. It now takes a good couple of minutes for the thing to settle down and for all the icons to appear in the system tray.

Is there any way I can restore the start-up time?

I've just installed Picasa2. While it seems to be a great program, it has slowed down the start-up of my computer. It now takes a good couple of minutes for the thing to settle down and for all the icons to appear in the system tray.

Is there any way I can restore the start-up time?

You can remove unnecessary programs from your startup. ;)

Also, just as general maintenance make sure that you're compressing and defragging your machine. Do you still have Norton?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thanks - can you tell me how I do that?

There are many ways to remove programs from the startup menu, but this is my favorite. ;)

Open CCleaner > Tools > Startup > highlight the program > click Delete Entry

* If you notice Programs that you think don't need to load with Windows then ask questions about those programs, because the less programs that load when booting the faster your computer will boot.

Hope this helps! :D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Well if you aren't sure how to add programs manually back into the registry that you "may" want to re-enable the start with Windows sequence it would be less of a headache to disable programs via MSconfig because CCleaner doesn't have an undo option when removing startup programs.

1. How to use MSconfig:
  2. You can access MSconfig via Start->Run->Type in: msconfig
  3. Click the 'Startup' tab.
  4. Untick items such as Picasa2 that you know are slowing down your system. If you have any questions about a certain startup program and if it's necessary for it to start with Windows don't hesitate to ask us which programs can be safely disabled.
  5. After you've made your selections click 'Apply' and then click 'Close'. It's up to you if you want to restart Windows or not. Note: The next time Windows starts MSConfig will appear, select the option that the MSConfig window gives to not run MSConfig at startup each time hence that would get rather annoying.