versions 23, 24 and 25 all stall

phdare

mta, on 15 Dec 2016 - 9:29 PM, said:

probably due to this; https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47334&p=277953

Tom Piriform, on 15 Nov 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:snapback.png

mta, on 15 Dec 2016 - 9:29 PM, said:

Hi, thanks for your comments. We recently had to make these changes to CCleaner because of changes that Microsoft have made to the way that IE stores data. The data that you're trying to clean is now saved in a database similar to Edge which cannot be cleaned while IE has access to it.

Reverting to an older version of CCleaner like 5.19 will only resolve the issue if you're using an older version of Windows and IE, however if you're running the latest version of these, CCleaner will not clean IE correctly and will not warn the user of this.

This does mean that for the current and future versions of CCleaner, IE will need to be closed to be cleaned. We understand that this may be frustrating for some users but unfortunately this is our of our control.

Thanks! :)

I am not running Windows 10. I do not have Edge. I have Windows 7 64bit with IE 11. If Microsoft made changes to their database for Edge on Windows 10, that is not my concern. As far as I can tell, no changes like this have been made in the Windows 7 environment. In my own case, the only thing I want CCleaner to clean in IE11 is cookies except for the ones I have chosen to keep. Temporary Internet files are stored on a virtual drive which gets wiped at each boot. I especially want to keep History for 30 days as specified in my browser. So the only thing I have checked under IE cleaning is cookies.

Version 5.22 does exactly what I want it to do. Although if I do go to Options/Cookies it does ask me to close Internet Explorer. If I say NO – it then tells me that “Cookies for Microsoft  Edge have been skipped due to an error.” If I cancel this window, it will then give me the lists of cookies to delete or keep and all goes well. Obviously I’m only going to go this route if I want to change the list of cookies I want to keep.

Furthermore I expressed my concerns already in the thread you mentioned as well as a couple other threads. https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47334&p=278008 My concerns or comments have never been addressed and it seems that anyone else having issues is automatically pointed to this same lame excuse that it’s Microsoft’s fault. We are now up to version 5.25 and I see others are still having issues. I’m sure you can understand how hesitant I am to upgrade as I don’t want to lose the history again. It’s not my intention to sound demeaning in any way. I’m just wary and apprehensive of the current trend with CCleaner. I am not a programmer but, I’m sure the developers must be aware that Windows 7 and Windows 10 may need different routines to effectively accomplish the desired goals of the program.  

I like CCleaner and want to continue to use it. And like many other users, I have chosen to stay with Windows 7. So I guess the real question is whether I have reached the end of the upgrade path of CCleaner? I would welcome some form of response such as: “It’s fixed.” or “Still working on it.” or even “Sorry, I guess you are SOL.”

• Moderators

maybe I've got it wrong, but the quote from Tom indicates the issue is with the latest version of IE.

either way, in the many threads that you have raised your concerns, the Dev team do see them but they seldom respond unless further details are needed.

I'm sure if a solution is possible, then they will be working on it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I do certainly trust the Dev's here at Piriform. The point you make about Tom's post is kinda what I am also saying. If v5.22 works fine on Windows 7 then why can't they leave that routine alone and concentrate on the Windows 10 issues? I am going to stay with v5.22 unless and until I can be reasonably assured that upgrading will not cause issues for Windows 7 and IE11.

edit: Just realized you mention "latest version of IE". Am I missing something? I thought IE 11 was as far as it goes for Windows 7. Then basically a name change to Edge in Windows 10.

• Moderators

edit: Just realized you mention "latest version of IE". Am I missing something? I thought IE 11 was as far as it goes for Windows 7. Then basically a name change to Edge in Windows 10.
ie11 is changed since it was first released. This is done through windows updates. They at some point of the 11 began to treat history and cache differently from how it previously had been. This causes issues with the way cleaners, such as ccleaner, can get to the information and remove it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com