Problem with CCleaner hanging

Todd

Hello,

I have CCleaner on my computer at work and it runs great. I have been having a problem with my home computer running very slowly, so this evening I downloaded and installed CCleaner on my home computer.

When I clicked on the 'Analyze' button, it ran through three or four progress bars in about 7-8 minutes. Then, a completed progress bar remained on the screen for about 10 minutes, during which I could hear the hard drive whirring and the light flashing periodically. Then, the hard drive stopped whirring and the light stopped flashing. All the while, a completed progress bar remained on the screen, but the results of the 'Analyze' session never appeared on the screen. The cursor was a regular arrow, not the busy hourglass. I eventually just closed CCleaner.

Background info: My home computer is a Compaq Presario 5000T Series, almost six years old, and runs Windows Me with a Celeron 633 MHz processor, 64 MB of RAM, and 10 MB hard drive (ST310212A). A few days ago, while running the Windows Disk Defrag (in an attempt to resolve the slowness issue), the Defrag was stuck on 47% complete for about four hours. Just as I was about to shut down Defrag, it progressed beyond 47% and eventually reached 100%.

I'm guessing that the same thing that caused Defrag to hang on 47% is also causing the problem with CCleaner. Is it possible that my hard drive is getting ready to fail, or might this be caused by another issue? In any event, how can I get CCleaner to run? Should I try to clean without analyzing first?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Todd

This usually means that your computer is FUBAR. f***ed up beyond all reckongnization. :D

Uncheck all checkboxes in CCleaner and then select just one, and clean, then select other checkbox, and run clean, etc and keep going...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Also, dont talk loudly about using a Compaq, especially if you use it together with AOL (America Online) and Windows.

You could get beat up for that.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Your home PC doesn't have that much RAM, and the processor is slow as well, however your slowdown could be coming from a malware ("adware, spyware, virus") infection. To find out if the slowdown is malware related do the following:

• Download HijackThis
  • Read the Spyware Removal Guide, it contains links to programs you'll need to run before posting a HijackThis log. Note: Some of the programs require Win2000 or WinXP in order to use them.
  • After scanning with the anti-malware programs listed in the Spyware Removal Guide post a HijackThis Log here.