Is it OK to update to current version if I skipped several updates?

Johnny Sokko

Hello.

I hope this question makes sense . . .

I have been using CCleaner for several years and have always updated it every month whenever a new version was released. The past several months, however, I have failed to do so. It's been about six or seven months since I've updated it, so that means the last six or seven updated versions of CCleaner have never been installed.

I want to get back on track and update it, but at this point, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and just install the most recent update — or if it might be better to start from scratch, i.e., uninstall what I have now and start over by reinstalling a fresh copy of the most recent version of CCleaner?

My concern with simply installing the most recent update: Some programs build upon previously installed versions. I don't know if CCleaner does this or not, but since I skipped installing the past six or seven updates, my concern is that, by leapfrogging to the most current version and installing it by itself without installing any of the versions that came before it, something may end up missing that CCleaner needs in order to function properly.

Is that a valid concern?

• Moderators

Installing the latest version 'over the top' should cause no issues for you Johnny.

On the other hand, if you feel a fresh start will set your mind at rest then just do that.

Either way should do :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks.

So it's safe to assume that every new version includes everything in the prior versions, so that the prior versions are no longer necessary, right?

I'm sure I was way overthinking this when I wrote my original question, but I was thinking along the lines of how some other programs work (the .NET framework, for example) in that updates build upon prior versions and oftentimes require the prior versions to be installed in order for the updates to work properly. CCleaner isn't like this at all, is it?

• Moderators

So it's safe to assume that every new version includes everything in the prior versions, so that the prior versions are no longer necessary, right?

No, for example, they (Piriform) introduced the Dup File Finder feature in version 4.00, who's to say they won't remove some feature in later versions.

Or even remove the cleaning of certain programs, like they will eventually be doing when Edge replaces Internet Explorer and they deem IE no longer is warranted.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Or even remove the cleaning of certain programs, like they will eventually be doing when Edge replaces Internet Explorer and they deem IE no longer is warranted.

I'd imagine that would be years from now.

• Moderators

agreed - but who can say when or if. :D

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.