Google 'planning total storage'

englishmen

Story from the BBC, full story can be found here.

Web giant Google is planning a massive online storage facility to encompass all users' files, it is reported.

The plans were allegedly revealed accidentally after a blogger spotted notes in a slideshow presentation wrongly published on Google's site.

The GDrive, previously the subject of chatroom rumour, would offer a mirror of users' hard drives, Reuters said.

Google declined to comment on the reports but said the slide notes had now been deleted.

Yeah, and if I know Google right, after you delete a file that you have uploaded, it will disappear/hide from your "GDrive" but still be present on the server harddisks. Bastards.

Oh well, hopefully it comes with cryptographic hashes, encryption, etc.

The notes said: "With infinite storage, we can house all user files, including e-mails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc; and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc)." -- From the BBC article.

I for sure, would not want to store my private emails, webhistory etc on a companies server.

-

Slightly off-topic hint, for those who use 7-Zip, if you use the .7z format you can use strong AES-256 encryption on your (optionally compressed) archive.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Slightly off-topic hint, for those who use 7-Zip, if you use the .7z format you can use strong AES-256 encryption on your (optionally compressed) archive.

That would be the way to go if storing personal files that would ultimately devulge information that shouldn't be common knowledge, especially to a company who could use it as marketing research or strategy, etc.