Help!

dumbgirl

Hi! I'm not very computer savvy, and I have a question.

I am attempting to get an old computer up and running for my kids, and right now it's running very slow and crashes periodically. I would like to run the ccleaner program on it, but as of now it's not online. Is there a way I can download the program to my main computer and then burn it to a disk to run on my old computer?

If so, can someone please talk me through the steps I'd need to take? (I know... what a pain! Sorry!) Any help would be very appreciated!!

Thanks!

Go here;

* http://ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

And download the "Basic" or the "Slim" build, (Dont get the Standard build).

Then copy it to a diskette (they normally fit 1,44 mb) so CCleaner fits on it, and take it to the other computer and install it.

If you dont have any diskette, you could use a CD-RW (Rewriteable CD). You probably do not want to burn it on a CD-R because a CD fits approx 650 mb, and CCleaner is less than 1 megabyte, so it would be a waste to use a CD when you only write less than 1% of space.

--

If you know how to reinstall Windows on the computer, you might want todo that instead if it is very slow and has much crashes.

Maybe your kids are more computer savvy than you?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Hi!

"Savvy", great word. :) Follow Eldmannen's instructions for installing CCleaner on the computer.

If your kids are not old enough to use a registry cleaner (CCleaner), then right click the installer and choose run as. Tick Aministrator, then run CCleaner. Also, DO NOT check the "Hotfix Uninstallers" box, it has a bug.

What OS is it?

Have a great day!

K :D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thanks for your help so far. I'll try your suggestions.

It's Windows ME.

You have a great day, too!

Do you have a ME Installation CD, or a Restoration CD? How much RAM does it have?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Windows ME dont have any *real* handling of user profiles and all accouns run with full privileges on the computer.

If you have Windows 2000 or XP you can use have restricted accounts for your kids that dont have all privilegies which can prevent them from accidently doing damage to the computer.

You might also want to install Mozilla Firefox and tell your kids to use that instead of Internet Explorer. Because if they use IE, it would be much easier for them to get tricked or accidently install spyware.

* http://www.GetFirefox.com

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Windows ME dont have any *real* handling of user profiles and all accouns run with full privileges on the computer.

If you have Windows 2000 or XP you can use have restricted accounts for your kids that dont have all privilegies which can prevent them from accidently doing damage to the computer.

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't know that. :D

• Moderators

Yeah all good suggestions.

After you install CCleaner:

1. Click the big Cleaner button and Run Cleaner.

2. Click the big Issues button and Scan for issues and fix them all, I'd recommend keeping a backup in a good location such as the My Documents folder. Keep running the Issues scan until it no longer finds anything.

3. Reboot.

If you're still having problems let us know.

We can also tell you what security software to download to make that WinMe computer relatively safe for online usage for your kids so you don't have to constantly keep checking it - e.g.; with the proper software the computer can take care of itself with only a little manual intervention from you every now and then.