ccleaner will not reenable startup programs

Lee3

ccleaner will not reenable startup programs after using ccleaner to disable them. . The startup programs also are no longer visible to msconfig  after being disabled by ccleaner . This is in Windows 8.1 ,  ccleaner.  ccleaner version 5.02  .  I've tried running as administrator, and turning off protection, running malware scans, etc.  but nothing I try works.   I disabled some startups I need to reenable, but can not because of this issue.  I think ccleaner puts the disabled startup info. in some temp file, but is not restoring in the registry when enable is selected.   please help, thanks. 

• Moderators

I have to ask this... are you sure that you selected a startup item and then pressed the disable button?

I am checking that you didn't select a start up item and then pressed the delete button.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut,  yes I selected disable, sure of it,  the startup items even display in ccleaner ,  and I can changed disable to enable and then it says enabled in the ccleaner  screen,  but if I close ccleaner and come back, the item I told to enable is now says disabled again,   also,  anything I disabled,  disappeared entirely from msconfig,  but, it is still comes up in ccleaner as disabled

I tried version 4.19 as suggested and same issue as 5.02

This is what  Ccleaner should do to reenable startup programs in Ccleaner: (it is not doing this )

in the registry location:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\msconfig\startupreg\[startup_program_name]
 get string from:
 command "startup_program_executable"
 and create:
startup_program_name "startup_program_executable"
if hkey=HKLM in:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
else if hkey=HKCU in:
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I tried this manually, and the startup program will show as enabled in ccleaner, and msconfig

there is also a [startup User] type,  to reenable it should extract the command from:
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\msconfig\startupfolder\
and put a shortcut to command in folder location

I also tried this manually, and the startup program will show as enabled in ccleaner, and msconfig

• 1 year later...

Ccleaner will not reenable/delete startup programs.

I also have duplicate entries, one entry can be disabled renabled deleted other can't.

Error message I get is:

Failed to delete startup item. The system cannot find the file specified.

I guess this is related to these startup entries only:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Open in Regedit option redirects to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg in regedit,

but not to the specific registry folder of the startup program in startupreg folder.

It seems CCleaner startup screen is full of junk obsolete entries. Any way CCleaner can clean those entries?

Maybe they were created by a buggy version of CCleaner and should be deleted from my registry manually?

Is there a way to reinstall/clean CCleaner from these startup entries without losing my registry/files Cleaner settings and options?

Is there a way to allow CCleaner to reenable delete or fix these entries if they should not be removed from registry?

Duplicate entries maybe mean that they are in duplicate places in registry (both startupreg of MSConfig or CurrentVersion/Run)

Can this be a Windows 10 issue:

CCleaner just has no access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg and so can delete or move entries from there to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or whatever else mentioned above in this topic.

Can these be non working entries related to another software conflicting with CCleaner?

Anyways, this seems to be a bug which needs a fix.

Any help would be appreciated!