New Technology

Hav0c

Want to know about any new technology development, then lets post it here.

Okay i know some of this tech isn't new but still for those who isn't aware of them.

Raspberry Pi Link

does anyone have one ?

If so what have you done with it ?

Looking in to getting one.

Solar Roadways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qlTA3rnpgzU

Man think about the potential around the house

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• Moderators

Solar roadways that could give a charge to EVs would be interesting - charge as you drive. And solar+impact roadways with built in impact plates that can take the weight of a car passing over it and convert it into electrical energy.

All sorts of stuff could be done, it's just down to money, but they may have to be rather clever how they plan to re-do the powergrid in North America which is full of issues; age, capacity, etc.

Three things I can see as potential problems with solar roadways:

1.) Before I retired, I was involved in road construction. There were times when the contractors I worked for applied for and received overweight permits from the New York State Department of Transportation. These were temporary permits that allowed our trucks to operate with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 120,000 lbs. during specific phases of a road construction project. I wonder how well an interlocked series of glass panels could stand up to that, even for a brief period of time.

2.) Looking at the texture of these panels, I would not want to transition from normal pavement onto these on a motorcycle doing 60-70 m.p.h., the resulting speed wobble could very well prove fatal. Have you ever ridden a motorcyle across a steel deck bridge? Scary, even at low speeds.

3.) Floods. No matter how well you think you have engineered and tested the way these panels are interconnected, or how they are connected to the power grid, water will eventually get in. Look at the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, or any other hurricane for that matter, could you imagine replacing all the roads that were submerged?

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Solar Roadways have caught a lot of attention recently, but I agree with the criticism of them: replacing critical infrastructure with non-future proofed (and rapidly advancing) technology seems both expensive and short sighted

I agree with you I also think they will have to work parallel with the power grid not just switch from one to the other overnight.

Solar roadways that could give a charge to EVs would be interesting - charge as you drive

Wonder how that one will work, Inductive effect maybe ?

Three things I can see as potential problems with solar roadways:

1.) Before I retired, I was involved in road construction. There were times when the contractors I worked for applied for and received overweight permits from the New York State Department of Transportation. These were temporary permits that allowed our trucks to operate with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 120,000 lbs. during specific phases of a road construction project. I wonder how well an interlocked series of glass panels could stand up to that, even for a brief period of time.

2.) Looking at the texture of these panels, I would not want to transition from normal pavement onto these on a motorcycle doing 60-70 m.p.h., the resulting speed wobble could very well prove fatal. Have you ever ridden a motorcyle across a steel deck bridge? Scary, even at low speeds.

3.) Floods. No matter how well you think you have engineered and tested the way these panels are interconnected, or how they are connected to the power grid, water will eventually get in. Look at the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, or any other hurricane for that matter, could you imagine replacing all the roads that were submerged?

All your points are valid, but as the tech get refined I am sure your first 2 points will be worked out. But point 3, water, if it wants to get in it will get in. This point I think will be the hardest to work out.

This is another plus one for Solar, link

It could be beneficial for all. 

Taiwan's tech industry tests the waters in wearables, Internet of Things

Link

Hmm this can be interesting

Link

• Moderators

We've had solar powered calculators for what almost 30 years now, so I don't see why more gadgets can't have them to power them even if only as a supplement to the battery and to trickle charge the battery. Especially when thinking of powering cars some solar cells could be beneficial such as powering a fan to exhaust hot air out of a parked car and to bring in fresh cooler air so you don't have to blast the air conditioner the first few minutes on very hot days.

We've had solar powered calculators for what almost 30 years now, so I don't see why more gadgets can't have them to power them even if only as a supplement to the battery and to trickle charge the battery. Especially when thinking of powering cars some solar cells could be beneficial such as powering a fan to exhaust hot air out of a parked car and to bring in fresh cooler air so you don't have to blast the air conditioner the first few minutes on very hot days.

I don't know about your car, but mine spits out literal fire for the first few minutes until the AC kicks into gear :rolleyes:

I imagine more gadgets don't include solar powering because heat is a major issue in devices like phones and such. A solar powered battery pack would be pretty cool though, and I do think they make them (unsure of the efficacy)

Some nice drones

Future drones could mimic birds and bats:  Link

8 Totally cool uses for a Dron : Link

This is why I am looking into getting a Raspberry Pi

• Moderators

I don't know about your car, but mine spits out literal fire for the first few minutes until the AC kicks into gear :rolleyes:

When I get into my car I always grab the A-pillar when getting in, and on one very hot day the inside was hot enough for my thumb to deform the plastic on the A-pillar.

• 2 months later...

So in the end we can not trust our eyes any more

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/08/new-3d-tool-fills-missing-parts-images/

I wish my car gave the illusion of being a Ferrari or Lamborghini.  :lol:

What you  "see" is what you get :D .

Don't worry sometimes i do as well

Who is in for this one  https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p403x403/10479052_858397204171454_581182876412221869_n.jpg