IE6 & Defrag

krit86lr

If your IE is corrupted can it make your defrag stop operating (a little birdie told me). Below is a defrag boot registry setting. Free space is 24%. XP pro sp2

(Default)...(Value not set)

Enable...... Y

Lcn End Location... 555490

Lcn Start Location... 0

Optimize Complete... No

Optimize Error....Insufficient free Space

Free space is supposed to support 15% +

The following have failed as solutions: repair install, chkdsk, disk cleanup, ccleaner, and sfc /scannow.

Any words of wisdom?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Run Check Disk in the mode to detect bad sectors, e.g.; do a surface scan.

If you've already did that ignore what I wrote below.

Here's how:

1. Only start this scan if you won't be needing your computer for at least two hours per hard disk.

2. Open My Computer > right click your hard disk > select Properties > Tools > Error Checking, Check Now > Select both options > click Start

...if asked to schedule the scan the next time Windows starts select Yes and then restart your computer immediately.

Should look like this:

chkdsk-options.png

Run Check Disk in the mode to detect bad sectors, e.g.; do a surface scan.

If you've already did that ignore what I wrote below.

Here's how:

1. Only start this scan if you won't be needing your computer for at least two hours per hard disk.

2. Open My Computer > right click your hard disk > select Properties > Tools > Error Checking, Check Now > Select both options > click Start

...if asked to schedule the scan the next time Windows starts select Yes and then restart your computer immediately.

Should look like this:

chkdsk-options.png

Thanks Andavari, although did try that already. Someone with more computer experience than myself suggested repairing IE to fix the defrag utility (even though IE is working properly). I seemed odd to me that doing a IE repair would fix the defrag utility. I can't think of anything else to try except looking at the defrag config in the components folder to make sure that everthing is set to default.

I'll take any further suggestions. Thanks again.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

It's Microsoft - need I say more ? :D

So it's True?? I thought she was loosing her marbles. (MS has a lot of bizarre suprises I'm learning.)

Thanks guys. Will do.

:)

• Moderators

On Windows XP you can get some programs to repair themselves simply by renaming them, e.g.; renaming somefile.exe to somefile-old.exe will cause some files to automatically be restored from a backup. That's what I did when I found out that my OEM version of the WinXP Pro install CD doesn't have any files on it that can be manually extracted to restore Microsoft Backup which all of a sudden stopped working.