xpy 0.9.5

krit86lr

Majorgeeks has xpy 0.9.5 on their recent list of freeware. It's a tool to disable default threats of WinXP installation, and closes recent security holes. Shouldn't updates provide the same service, or is xpy 0.9.5 a good/needed addition?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Majorgeeks has xpy 0.9.5 on their recent list of freeware. It's a tool to disable default threats of WinXP installation, and closes recent security holes. Shouldn't updates provide the same service, or is xpy 0.9.5 a good/needed addition?

Looks suspicious to me. For one thing, it is only 60 kb; Windows Updates are far bigger than that. It probably doesn't fix much, if it fixes anything at all.

I can believe that someone found a security breach in Windows, and was able to patch it themselves; however, I don't believe that that someone found multiple Windows errors, and was able to patch all of them using an app that takes under 60 kb of space.

I would avoid it if I was you.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Looks suspicious to me. For one thing, it is only 60 kb; Windows Updates are far bigger than that. It probably doesn't fix much, if it fixes anything at all.

I can believe that someone found a security breach in Windows, and was able to patch it themselves; however, I don't believe that that someone found multiple Windows errors, and was able to patch all of them using an app that takes under 60 kb of space.

I would avoid it if I was you.

I downloaded it to look at, but it's kind of odd. There are way too many boxes to check, and without instructions. Some of the options just looked like tweaks, some (I don't know what they do), and quite a few options to disable services that shouldn't be disabled.

I guess that I assumed it would be useful because it's on mj's top Feb list. Ooops! My bad I guess. How about you test it out for me, and tell me what you think.

;):lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

How about you test it out for me, and tell me what you think.

;):lol:

All right, but if my computer starts doing what yours did a few weeks ago, I'm sending you a virus. :P

ding, ding!

All right, but if my computer starts doing what yours did a few weeks ago, I'm sending you a virus. :P

Good luck!...my computer's tight now. Nothing is getting into this baby.

:P

Okay, tested it out, and actually, it seems to be a nifty and somewhat usefull app, with one problem; it doesn't do what the description said! It really doesn't do anything for disabling Windows threats, etc. It simply lets you turn off certain Windows features.

Nice find, even though it doesn't do what it is supposed to. I guess they figured more people would download it if it has a description like that.

ding, ding!

Okay, tested it out, and actually, it seems to be a nifty and somewhat usefull app, with one problem; it doesn't do what the description said! It really doesn't do anything for disabling Windows threats, etc. It simply lets you turn off certain Windows features.

Nice find, even though it doesn't do what it is supposed to. I guess they figured more people would download it if it has a description like that.

I guess, but I could adjust those features/services myself, and probably faster (only because the display box is so little it's difficult to read). Some of the tweak options seem useful.

I thought you'd like it because it's little.

Good Times! :)

I guess, but I could adjust those features/services myself, and probably faster (only because the display box is so little it's difficult to read). Some of the tweak options seem useful.

I thought you'd like it because it's little.

Good Times! :)

Yay, little files! Yes, I do like things that are small and useful, like cell phones and Flash ROM sticks and marbles.

But yeah, to make the program truly useful to me, I would have to use it for a while and get used to its layout, so for most tasks, I'll probably stick with using the integrated Windows options, or a program I'm used to, like CCleaner. But, xpy still gives me something to play with when I'm bored out of my noodle.

ding, ding!

It seems to have a lot of features (closing security holes) that are also in:

- xplizer (http://theinsider.deep-ice.com/)

- BugOff (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html)

- PreEmpt

- PivX

Messenger is often disabled because it is a security risk and Windows' Messenger Service is being used to spam Windows users across the Internet.

It seems to have a lot of features (closing security holes) that are also in:

- xplizer (http://theinsider.deep-ice.com/)

- BugOff (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html)

- PreEmpt

- PivX

Messenger is often disabled because it is a security risk and Windows' Messenger Service is being used to spam Windows users across the Internet.

I think that JohnDemolitions's point is that he didn't tell the program to disable Windows Messenger service, and it screwed it up anyway. A good tool shouldn't do things that you don't tell it to do.

JohnDemolition - Did you try services.msc and make sure that Messenger is enabled and started?

you must not have a brain. i already stated that the service was on. services.msc, Autoruns, and Ad-Aware all say that it's on

Making comments such as that will not make people such as krit86lr want to help you out anymore. She was only trying to help, and she did nothing to warrant that remark.

ding, ding!

well... i never said i wanted help. i just gave out a comment stating that it breaks all Windows Messenger functionallity even if you reinstall.

Well you were bitching about how now you are stuck with Trillian, so one would logically assume that either you want the problem fixed, or that you just came on here to bitch.

If you wanted help, krit86lr tried to give it to you, and you declined it.

If you wanted to bitch, be my guest, but it doesn't make anything better for anyone else here, so why bother?

Thank you for posting errors that you ran into with xpy; but please don't diss people who try to help. She missed your comment, that's all; no reason to mock her, or anyone else for that matter.

ding, ding!