CCleaner & ceramic hard drives

cannuck21

I am not a technical person so please excuse my lact of 'knowledge' but I have a question. My new PC has a ceramic hard drive (specs shown below) and my IT people have advised me against using CCleaner or the defraggler with this hard drive.

Is this correct or a misunderstanding?

Many thanks for any advice

Cannuck21

Specs

Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core 3.30GHz 3MB Socket 1155 BOX

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV Intel H61 DDR3 Socket 1155 1PCI-Ex(16x)/1xPCI-Ex/2xPCI with 4xUSB/Video

8GB DDR3-1600 Kit, 2 x 4GB DIMM

Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA

LG GH24NS95 24x Dual Layer DVD-RW / DVD+RW Black SATA

• Moderators
It's fine to defrag the 1TB drive, as it's a HDD.

But the smaller drive, your correct not to wipe/defrag

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

since you are new to SSD's (solid state drives) maybe this will help get you started.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=38632&hl=

open the PDF attachment in the first post.

Also, SSD's get discussed here regularly, a quick search of other threads will pop up many topics that may help your learning curve - if you're interested of course.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

That is NOT what I would call a specification.

I wondered if there was something special about the ceramic materials in the heads.

Google's best guess for me was

"Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003"

http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B005T3GRNW

I was intrigued by the claim

"Seagate OptiCache technology boosts overall performance by as much as 45% over the previous generation"

After a few more searches I still see absolutely no proper information upon the nature of "OptiCache technology",

but I did stumble upon :-

In another development, Seagate said it will be converting its line of Barracuda XT 3.5-in. hard drives to a hybrid drive technology by adding NAND flash to the drives as a type of inexpensive cache. The most frequently used data is kept on the NAND flash board to increase performance.

Seagate already sells hybrid drives under its Momentus XT line, which has up to 500GB capacity. The Barracuda XT lineup includes models that have as much as 3TB of capacity. Seagate would not specify a date for the launch of the new Barracuda XT hybrid drives, saying only that its disclosure of the new line is to demonstrate it is committed to hybrid technology.

http://www.computerw...ine_on_7200_rpm

I have to raise the question (and leave it for others to answer)

If defragging an SSD based on NAND Flash cells is a bad idea,

then should we contemplate defragging through the NAND Flash cells of hybrid drives and their ilk ?

One would need to research the density and durability of the nand cache. This may be entirely different than what is used in the cheap consumer grade SSDs. This may be large geometry and SLC, thus it would have billions of write cycles. It has to!

True, BUT

Although a 1 Terabyte "Server Grade" SSD may have a thousand times the endurance of a consumer grade SSD,

A 64 MB sized Flash Cell cache is going to suffer 16,000 times the average SSD degradation if it has to withstand multiple writes of Terabyte defragmentation.

It is just possible his I.T. people may know what they are talking about - yes I also believe in miracles :)

It may be reasonable to get advice from the manufacturer themselves.

If they say that their drive is able to withstand defragging,

it may also be worth considering their fallibility. Do a Google search for

bricked seagate drive

I had to assist my son who was one of the victims of their firmware error

Very many thanks to everyone who replied to my questions - your help is greatly appreciated!

Cannuck21

I am not a technical person so please excuse my lact of 'knowledge' but I have a question. My new PC has a ceramic hard drive (specs shown below) and my IT people have advised me against using CCleaner or the defraggler with this hard drive.

Is this correct or a misunderstanding?

Many thanks for any advice

Cannuck21

Specs

Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core 3.30GHz 3MB Socket 1155 BOX

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV Intel H61 DDR3 Socket 1155 1PCI-Ex(16x)/1xPCI-Ex/2xPCI with 4xUSB/Video

8GB DDR3-1600 Kit, 2 x 4GB DIMM

Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA

LG GH24NS95 24x Dual Layer DVD-RW / DVD+RW Black SATA