drive wipe freespace only problem

newbie12345

on several occasions recently I have used drive wipe freesapce only. Afterwards the next morning mcafee internet security will either not download updates or install them and I have had to contact mcafee to reinstall the product 15 times in last 9 weeks.

The pc has never had any problems or viruses and is regularly checked out/serviced so the only conclusion the pc world experts have suggested is that something happens when using drive wipe.

Has any fellow user ever experienced this problem The mcafee anri virus box in applications is unticked so it does not touch the prosuct during normal daily cleaning.

thank you.

• Moderators

Some antivirus scanners store an unlocked file in a Temp folder; either in the user profile Temp folder, or more usually found inside the Windows\Temp folder which could cause them issues if deleted. You may want to look in your Temp folder(s) for any such McAfee related files - I'm not saying that's the case but it's a possibility and should you find such files you can exclude them in CCleaner.

• Moderators

Yes, but Drive Wipe should not touch any live files, temporary or not. Newbie, can you not do any cleaning on your machine at all with CC, just run the drive wiper and see what happens then? I can't see any reason why wiping free space should affect any application. You are using Drive Wiper to wipe free space?

• Moderators

You've run it before (15 times!) so you should know how long it takes - unless you're saying that it's taking far longer than before. Only one pass I hope. It can be cancelled but it is better to let it finish as a cancel may leave large files on your drive. Not really a problem, more a nuisance.

Running drivewip since yesterday...Notice 18 hrs left? Question...is it ok to stop? I never listed drives that didn't need to be scanned..

Vitachick - Welcome to the forum.

Please do not "hijack" a topic which belongs to someone else with your own problem - it only causes confusion - it even confuses moderators :)

I suggest you start your own topic.