SourceForge users: Heads Up!

Derek891

I came across a blog yesterday claiming SourceForge has changed hands and the new owners are quickly destroying their once stellar reputation:

I have used SourceForge in the past and have never had any problems, but let it be known that most of my downloads involved Linux OS's and applications. Does anyone on the forum use SourceForge for Windows based software, and if so, had any problems with their software after installing it?

Years ago, in the Win98SE timeframe, I used Tucows and fell into a similar trap, getting unexpected software and browser add-ons along with their software. And a couple of years ago, CNET added a new toolbar to Internet Explorer when I downloaded and installed AVG anti-virus on a friend's machine. I went through hell trying to get rid of it.

It would be a real disappointment to me if SourceForge joins the club.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Hi Derek.

hazel came across this back in July, which you wouldn't have known about of course. :)

I'll post the link to add those comments to your topic, and yes, lots of us have used SorceForge for years.

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=39072

Very sad that they're going down the "bundled installers" road, but as long as they're upfront about what an installer contains, and there is an "out" option clearly visible, then they haven't quite descended to the bottom. Yet.

• Moderators

Does anyone on the forum use SourceForge for Windows based software, and if so, had any problems with their software after installing it?

I use several things off there such as Firefox Portable, etc. To get around their adware someone mentioned going to the downloads \file\ folder to get the .zip, .7z, .rar, etc., alternative non-installer to some of the software on there.

-------------

Off Topic:

Derek891, why are all of your posts indented? It's peculiar!

Thanks, Derek. I had seen it, but reminders are an important part of my life these days. :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.