CCleaner not cleaning Temp file

Hi, I love CCleaner, but am really disappointed. My Win 7 just reported that I had no space left on my 250gb SST. The problem was that after I downloaded Explorer 10 two months ago, temp files were downloaded to this file location:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

AFter only two months, there were over 2.6 million files, and over 71 gb of data. I had used CCleaner almost every day, and was really disappointed that it did not delete those files.

If there is a way to make it work, please let me know. I really like the ease and features of CCleaner, and would like to keep using it instead of having to change.

Thank you.

Ray

• Moderators

The normal location for IE temp files is c:\users\your account\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\

I doubt CC would automatically include the location you listed as it resides in windows\system32 and would be classed 'to risky' for CC to clean.

If you want to empty it's contents, use an INCLUDE

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

The normal location for IE temp files is c:\users\your account\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\

I doubt CC would automatically include the location you listed as it resides in windows\system32 and would be classed 'to risky' for CC to clean.

If you want to empty it's contents, use an INCLUDE

I would love to do this, but, CCleaner only allows the file names to be listed when found by browsing. This file is invisible, and there is no place to manually input the name of the file, or file location into CCleaner for deletion. If you have a suggestion, i would love to hear it.

Thank you.

Ray

• Moderators

A couple of links here you might like to look at

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=37716

http://www.bleepingc...dden-infection/

My advice would be to first make sure you are virus and malware free

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=34786

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

regarding where the temp internet files "usually" are the location you mention I believe is where ie protected mode sticks things

nope

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

There is a simple solution.

Use Options/Advanced / "Save settings to INI"

Close CCleaner AFTER you have defined (without using) an Include of C:\

Open the folder holding CCleaner.exe

and then use Notepad to edit CCleaner.INI and change something like

Include1=PATH|C:\

and change it to something like

Include1=PATH|C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

and save this file.

N.B. '1' in "Include1" may be a bigger number if there are other Includes also defined.

When you next launch CCleaner it should correctly target this special folder that most of us were unaware of.

If you wish you can now cancel Options/Advanced / "Save settings to INI"

and your settings will then be held in the registry and should still target this special folder.

Personally I always use the Portable version of CCleaner because I hate using the registry.

The problem was that after I downloaded Explorer 10 two months ago, temp files were downloaded to this file location:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

That relationship is tenuous.

I have never at any time allowed Internet Explorer to run on my Windows 7 Ultimate,

but I have exactly the same path.

It is a Windows thing, or possibly a Trident thing.

On my system that path holds only one folder with two files totalling 18 KB

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\892A5CK9\

The two files are both dated 27 ‎July ‎2013, ‏‎12:27:59

They are

desktop.ini

and

IDR_XML_DEFAULT_TRANSFORM[1]

I have just used Locate32 and found all the files modified around that time, and the guilty party is

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\energy-ntkl.etl etc.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST RECONSIDERATION OF THE DANGER THAT MTA REFERRED TO - SHOUTING BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT !

Although Windows delights in giving surprise annoyances,

it is almost certain that your I.E. v10 still keeps its junk within something like

c:\users\your account\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\

By attacking the target you have selected you are deleting files that Windows creates whilst performing Power diagnostics.

The probability is that there are other types of diagnostics that utilise that target.

There may be other non-diagnostic reasons for the use of that target.

It would be prudent to determine what is creating the content you find in ...\temporary internet files\

and then to determine whether the "temporary" reason for their existence still remains.

By using Locate32 or any similar utility you may find which permanent files were created at the same time as your "temporary" junk files,

and then deduce what is causing your SSD to lose its free space.

http://locate32.cogit.net/