WiFi and LAn connections

Windows 7.

Every time Windows 7 sees a WiFi point it adds it to the registery at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad my 6 onth old instalation now has over 200 unused connections, can ccleaner compare the registery to the Windows GUI list and delete unused items.

In a similar way....

Every time a network connection is deleted from windows it leaves a registery listing these can manually be deleted from the reistery, I can't find the location right now.

This occurs frequently when VPN software is installed/uninstalled or a network card is changed. I am now up to Tunnel adaptor Local area connection*21 when I run ipconfig/all

Some of them can be deleted by doing the following,

• Open Start Menu
  • Type In: Device Manager
  • Select Device Manager
  • Click the View menu from the top
  • Select Show Hidden Devices (Must be check before continuing)
  • Scroll down and expand Network Adapters
  • Right-Click a duplicated Microsoft 6to4 Adapter or Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
  • Select Uninstall
  • Click OK for the pop-up warning message
  • Repeat and repeat for each of the unwanted duplicated adapter
  • Close Device Manager when finish

• Moderators

how would it tell the difference between items listed as Not in Use and those that are no longer wanted?

you start getting into he area of second-guessing the User, and that eventually leads to heartache for someone.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Sort of related question: Does win 7 save every wifi point it sees, or just the ones you actually connect to?

I know . . . common sense would be just save the ones you connect to, but I won't take that for granted.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

only the ones you join.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 year later...

I don't know for sure I'm in the correct forum but I should point out cc cleaner cost me a days work when it caused havoc with the network adapters in windows 7 64 bit. It was impossible to get online. Error 31. Tried everything in the end reinstalled drivers for wireless LAN and Ethernet via USB drive from colleagues computer . Still can't sort 4to6 driver and other two window network adaptor drivers...any ideas? Says drivers up to date ...they're corrupted

• Moderators

I don't know for sure I'm in the correct forum but I should point out cc cleaner cost me a days work when it caused havoc with the network adapters in windows 7 64 bit. It was impossible to get online. Error 31. Tried everything in the end reinstalled drivers for wireless LAN and Ethernet via USB drive from colleagues computer . Still can't sort 4to6 driver and other two window network adaptor drivers...any ideas? Says drivers up to date ...they're corrupted

Please keep your help to only one topic.

Your topic about CCleaner breaking your network is in this post which I moved to the CCleaner Bug Report forum.