Speed up cleaning Internet Explorer temp files?

thoste

When run CCleaner at startup of my 64bit Win7 then it takes approx. 10 to 15 minutes (!) to erase (with 1 pass overwrite) all the Internet Explorer cache files in temporary folder.

This is very, very long. Can this be speed up somehow?

The problem is that I cannot call Internet Explorer during call. Because Internet Explorer would retrieve new files from Internet which are erased as well by CCleaner.

So CCleaner should at least find out which are "old" files (files with a last acces date old than its start date) and erase only them.

Can this be implemented in the next release?

Thank you

Thomas

• Moderators

IE's TIF's can be absolutely slow for the reasons detailed by Winapp2.ini in the post above with secure deletion turned off, and when you enable secure deletion it will only slow down things even more.

Perhaps turn off secure deletion and give that a try, as well as try limiting how much data IE can store on the disk at a given time:

68359fc96bfafba48c0fed01d6e0695a.png

Are you cleaning many thousands of files each time? That could be the cause. Either that, a slow harddrive, or your Anti-Virus scanning every operation CCleaner makes could be causing the slowdown.

Thank you for the answer, BUT: I have a pretty fast hard disc (under 64bit Win7 with quad core CPU).

No Anti-Virus tool is scanning hard disc accesses.

Yes, there could be thousand files. BUT I cannot imagine that this is a reason.

There are other (one-purpose) eraser tools like

"Heidi Ersaer" http://eraser.heidi.ie/

or

Wipefile http://www.gaijin.at/dlwipefile.php

which erase (with one-pass overwrite as well) gigabytes of directory trees within seconds or approx 3% of the time of CCleaner.

So I guess its an sub-optimal deletion procedure/algorithm built-in in CCleaner.

Could this be check?

Reducing disk cache of IntExp like Andavari suggested is not an option.

Same with disabling overwriting (why do I need security tool like CCleaner if I do not use the security features?).

Thank you

Thomas

• Moderators

I wonder if you tested instead doing the cleaning at shutdown would help, perhaps give it a try and see how it goes.

The only other thing I can think of is that some version ago it seems like they have fixed something in the secure deletion modes, so perhaps that's the slowness you're experiencing.

why do I need security tool like CCleaner if I do not use the security features?

I would classify CCleaner as a maintenance tool.

No Anti-Virus tool is scanning hard disc accesses.

How do you know that? This is a pretty standard practice for Antivirus software, which would be occurring unless you've explicitly disabled it.

which erase (with one-pass overwrite as well) gigabytes of directory trees within seconds

Typical mechanical drives can write at about 130mib/s. Assuming several to mean three; that would mean such a task would take at least 23 seconds in perfect conditions.

I just ran CCleaner on a 2011 Hitachi HDD with one-pass overwriting, targeting a folder with 300 files equating to 3 gigabytes. The process took 29 seconds, which confirms that CCleaner is erasing data within the expected time range.

This suggests something is awry on your end.

I'm Shane.