NumLock auto ON with Ubuntu

mta

• Moderators

OK, trivial I know, but it has been annoying me for a while.

With Windows, the BIOS is used to decide whether NumLock is turned on by default as the PC starts.

Why the heck can't Linux distros do this?, or is it just a Ubuntu 'feature'.

I know there are work-arounds for this; scripts and numlockx (I think?) apps, but I was wondering if there is a more 'subtle' solution.

Or is there a good reason for doing it this way which I don't know about???

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

BIOS is not a windows feature, so I'm not sure why numlock wouldn't be activated by it on a linux distro (it should be activated before GRUB even loads if sent from the BIOS, I think.)

Preliminary research suggests numlockx is the way to do this, along with an initscript.

sudo apt-get install numlockx

sudo sed -i 's|^exit 0.*$|# Numlock enable\n[ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ] \&\& numlockx on\n\nexit 0|' /etc/rc.local

edit:

if you use KDE:

Menu -> System Settings -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> NumLock on KDE startup -> Turn on

• Moderators

thanks for the reply Winapp2 but those pointers I already knew about, and while i'm happy to do it if needed, as you say in your opening remark, why can't Ubuntu (and I assume all Linux distros) read what the BIOS default setting is and implement it ???

as I say, it's trivial in the grand scheme of things, it's just frustrating me why it should behave the way it does.

which makes me think there must be some logical (although hidden) reason.

Edit: of course the simple solution is to hit the damn NumLock button, but with my login password being only numbers, I always forget to hit it and get the 'try again stupid' jiggle.

I believe the original IBM PC and its Basic Input Output System (BIOS) and M.S. DOS preceded Linux Distros.

I would guess that the BIOS might have been given initial authority of the Numlock status so that user configuration changes could benefit :-

subsequent control of other BIOS configurations and also BOOT Devices selection; and

Operating System (DOS and subsequently Windows) could start-up in a BIOS configurable state.

I believe UNIX preceded the IBM PC and knew nothing of the IBM BIOS and does not run on IBM PC's,

and Microsoft has taken its best ideas from UNIX and Open Source in general,

and Linux distros originate from UNIX but adapted to run on IBM PC's and its descendants.

Perhaps Linux Distros have yet to recognise the benefit of using the Numlock status as predefined by the BIOS.

- or perhaps they fear that Bill Gates has a legal team waiting to pounce with a raft of ancient/unknown patents if they do.

http://arstechnica.c...x-based-device/

http://www.geek.com/...patent-2009073/

• Moderators

OK, I've paid closer attention to the keyboard numlock LED and for Ubuntu, at least, the status light stays on the whole time the OS is booting and only goes off the second the login screen appears.

so it seems it is reading the BIOS settings but it's some security feature of the login screen that then disables numlock.

go figure.

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

thanks nergal, I had also seen that page in my investigations on the subject.

(I did do some research first before posting here :), my post was a last ditch attempt to maybe talk to others in a similar situation as I am rather new to lunix still)

my settings already match those in that first dialog box, and as I said, I don't see why Ubuntu should need a extra app and script just to turn on the numlock - which appears to be on right up to the login screen - when it's actually needed.

if that is the only way Ubuntu implements the numlock on feature then so be it.

it just seems backward without some sort of explanation (there must be one surely)

if that is the only way Ubuntu implements the numlock on feature then so be it.

it just seems backward without some sort of explanation (there must be one surely)

If Apple can obtain a patent for round corners on a Tablet,

Then sure as God made little apples, Microsoft will patent information that is provided by the BIOS :(