All kinds of tmp files

Hello :)

Downloaded and installed Defraggler onto a friends computer. PC running Windows XP with SP3

He just called me and said that after Defraggler completed he has found hundreds of files that look someting like ~98765whatever.tmp and ~98765whatever.doc.

Has this ever happened before that you know of? Is there some setting that we should be aware of to make this not happen? Can we safely delete these files?

Thank You,

Wayne

• Moderators

those file types are usually hidden. (as Winapp2 states, they are left over Office recovery files)

could it be possible they have always been there and 'show hidden files' has recently been ticked.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

those file types are usually hidden.

i mean no... doc.files arent hidden...only .tmp files

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I would expect these ~*.doc files to be "Work In Progress" whilst Word is running, and upon closing Word they should be automatically deleted.

Is it possible that Defraggler and Word were both running at the same time and Word lost sole control of these files hence they were not deleted ?

I have a suspicion that Microsoft might have considered the possibility that a third party defragger might attempt to process ~*.doc files whilst Word was still running,

and a VERY STRONG suspicion that they would have decided this was not their problem.