Application List, mystery entry.

Palebushman

After installing the latest v3.28.1913 of CCleaner, I just had a run through all the option check boxes, and discovered a program that is not installed on my machine.

Under the 'Application' tab in the 'Multimedia' section, Winamp appears! Why is that? BTW the box is also unchecked.

This is a program that I would never have installed on this machine, because the last time I did, it caused so much mayhem I had to do an OS re-install to get rid of the mess it created. Does anyone know why this entry appears and do they know how I can get rid of it.

Back in the 90's Winamp was the only media player for me, but sadly, after it was taken over, it just seemed to always cause problems in my OS's.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
Author: Max Planck

Hi.

Run regedit and remove the following registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Winamp

Thanks for the fix Winapp2. That has cleared the entry from CCleaner, although I'm still puzzled as to how Winamp found it's way into machine/registry. :rolleyes:

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

• Moderators

any chance it snuck in via a pre-ticked box on the back of another software package.

similar to how google chrome wants to sneak in with CC.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

any chance it snuck in via a pre-ticked box on the back of another software package.

similar to how google chrome wants to sneak in with CC.

Know exactly what you mean mta. But I normally look carefully for that kind of trickery before allowing any installation to proceed.

BTW, that Winamp thing never appeared in this Win 7 HP "installed programs" list either. :(

• Moderators

so either someone else uses the PC and wasn't as careful or you had too many Bundies that day and plain missed it :D

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

so either someone else uses the PC and wasn't as careful or you had too many Bundies that day and plain missed it :D

Yes mta, after a little supple investigating, it turns out the missus installed a 'foreign' media player because a file she had got from

a friend would not open with Windows Media Player. She then promptly used 'Revo' to uninstall it and thought the program would

have removed all the relative orphans as well. But that's another story which I will have to check out on the 'Revo' forum. :ph34r:

• Moderators

One relatively easy way to have a Winamp entry mysteriously appear is if you by chance use another media player that also happens to use Winamp plugin(s) and some do use them. For instance the in_vorbis.dll file, etc., which can store settings in the registry under Winamp.