Piriform not following Microsoft shortcuts guidelines

luik

When you install CCleaner or other Piriform software it's adding a folder with an Unistall and a Support page link shortcut to the start menu, this cause problems specially with Windows 8, because it treats every shotcut as an app in the Start Screen (the new Metro/Modern UI).

You should add only the shortcut for the app. Unistaller and support information place is Control Panel's Programs part.

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

• 1 year later...

A year later this is still not fixed...

Because it creates its own folder with useless shortcuts, CCleaner goes way to the right of the screen in the "All apps" view requiring scrolling to be seen instead of simply being listed among the first group of apps in Windows Start screen.

Per the guidelines, you should ditch the CCleaner folder and put a single CCleaner shortcut in the root of the start menu folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs).

This applies to all Piriform products (Defraggler, Recuva, etc).

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

Oh, I see what you're saying now.

The only third party apps that seem to follow this convention for me are Earlybird, Nightly, and Pidgin. CCleaner at least doesn't dump all of its 'junk' (uninstaller/homepage) on the main start screen, which is more than I can say for a lot of other applications.