Recommended Video bitrate to be used

Tasgandy

I regularly performed HDTV captures (H.264 Format - MP4) with my internal PCI express capture card, I then edit / remove the adverts from the capture file with TMPGEnc 5.0.5.32 SW app.

Questions:

1/ What video bitrate should one use / recommend for normal home playback? 1800kb/s 2000kb/s 2200kb/s or?

2/ In general should one use a Constant or Variable video bitrate? - ie. Low action movies use CBR & High action movies use VBR

Whilst file size / hard disk space is not an issue for me, my problem is that when I share my captures / movies amongst my Mates they complain about the file size.

I have been using an output profile type of DivX HD 720p - 720 x 576 pixel 16:9 aspect ratio, 25fps interlaced, rate control of 1 pass CBR and a bitrate of 3000kb/s with the result that my file sizes are quite large

eg. 56.2 minute capture, 84538 frames, 16:9, file size of 1.2gig DivX encoded avi file.

Suggestions/input/recommendations folks would be of assistance...........thank you

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I don't know of any video codec that will let you strictly encode in CBR mode since most use ABR or VBR even if they state they're using "CBR".

The DivX recommendations the last time I used it were:

720p HD = 3000 KBPS or more

1080p HD = 6000 KBPS or more

If you can't share HD bitrates with friends I'd think your only option would be to encode them a standard definition version where you could then get the bitrate under say 1000 KBPS. Don't forget the audio bitrate too, as that can bloat a download.

Edited by Andavari

Interesting point Andavari re CBR / ABR (I take it ABR = average bitrate) and you are most likely correct. I'll take your suggestion and produce some 800kb/s conversions.

TMPGEnc 5.x not only suggests that a CBR is possible they also provide a video bitrate calculator during the options / conversion process for all generic formats available within the app. Hence my question.

Audio bitrate I am using at present is 128kb/s, and thank you for your comments Andavari...........much appreciated.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I would think it's going to end up using ABR/VBR which should actually look better quality-wise anyways versus using CBR since the bitrate can automatically fluctuate using as little kbps as possible in easy to encode dark scenes without much going on and more kbps during those scenes that require more kbps. It's also smart to use ABR/VBR for the audio too if possible - as long as you don't end up having audio+video sync issues.