Cleaner has Messed Up Sound

Athanatos173

I ran Ccleaner and now my pc's sound is warped. My videos have no voice and my music sounds like the singers are underwater.

I have checked the pc sound settings and everything looks to be fine, I have also restored what I did with CC by using the merge option on the backup I created yet nothing seems to be working.

I also performed a windows system restore but as I suspected, that did nothing to solve the issue.

Have to leave the house for now, but hopefully someone can post something to help for when I get back.

To Sum Up: Used CCleaner and cleaned the Registry as well. Now the sound on my pc is totally distorted.

Did a restore by using the Merge option on the cc backup, did a windows system restore. Checked the sound settings on the pc.

Checked the Device Manager for problems.

None of the above have solved anything.

Windows XP Professional 64 bit. 4 gigs of RAM. 2.83 GHz

Do you use a 3rd party sound card and can you uninstall / reinstall it?

Have you tried different speakers?

Did anything else mess up at the same time as the sound?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Here's some easy less involved things to try before messing with software/driver installations:

* If you're using speaker/headphones unplug them and then plug them back in. If that doesn't work try:

* Turn off your computer, unplug it from the wall electrical outlet for about 60 seconds, plug it back in, turn on your PC and see if that helps.

Edited by Andavari

Also on the easy side, if you have a knobs on your speakers (volume, balance, etc), try turning them all the way up and down 2 or 3 times. If you have oxide on the rheostat that might dislodge it.

I did that here. I had static. It was cured by unplugging 2 or 3 times like Andavari said, then turning the knob.

The old radio repairmen would say you have oxide on your pot, but that has negative connotations nowadays. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

System Restore will have perfectly eliminated any damage you did to the registry with CCleaner

But this is ASSUMING you restored to a point that preceded your cleaning of the registry.

System Restore also promises to restore all "System Files" which ought to include all drivers and your sound system,

unfortunately my experience with XP Home was that it never made good on its promises for all "System Files".

Please note that from what I remember of using XP two years ago

a Restore Point is NOT a single POINT but a "BLOB" which is compiled over a period of time.

It consists of a Registry Hives Snapshot that is taken at the instant the new Restore Point is created,

and then over a period of time it captures changes to so called "System Files".

Long story Short :-

If your system was damaged on Wednesday then perhaps you need to restore to Tuesday to repair the registry,

BUT that Restore Point will include "System File" changes that occurred between the start on Tuesday and whenever the Thursday Restore Point took over.

( I know that officially a new Restore Point is created at 1 day intervals but that was not my normal experience )

Just possibly you need to restore to the Restore Point that precedes the one preceding calamity.

System Restore was NEVER able to decide whether my Firefox Cache was a system file or a user document,

so when I did a System Restore it would leave in Firefox profile both a "cache" and a "cache(2)".

I love the absolute certainty that I have gained now that I use Image Backups,

which capture the precise state in one instant of time of all registry hives and system files and all my Applications and User Documents.