Need help, Used CCleaner and sound will not play

sartt

I used ccleaner a few days ago and all my sound has stopped. I think that i deleted the sound registry key. Im sure that its not the drivers as i have reinstalled them. i've gone into the services and stopped restarted the Windows Audio and it still does not work, i've restored my computer to a date before this happened it still doesn't work. Des anyone know how to fix this?

i have windows 7

• Moderators

I take it you didn't save the .reg file backup of the entries removed by ccleaner when offered the chance to do so? (always an important thing to do)

Firstly you could try the Microsoft fix-it centre here

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

if the above doesn't work, try this;

the PC hopefully came with a driver CD or a folder on C:\ drive with the drivers pre-loaded, usually called SWSETUP or DRIVERS.

find the sound driver (usually called audio if the drivers are saved in a folder) and run the setup.exe file.

If you can't can't the CD or folder, find the motherboard make and model (you may have to open the side of the tower) and go to the manufacture's website and go to the drivers section (usually under Support or Drivers or Downloads) and get the driver for your OS version and motherboard model.

sorry if that's a bit high-level, i'm not sure of your PC expertise, if anything needs further explaination, just let me know. plus the forum is a wee bit unstable at the present and i quickly fired this off.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

hmmm, missed that little gem - sorry.

but on reflection i still think getting the latest sound driver off the mobo manufactures site is worth a try.

it's a straw worth clutching, if for no other reason than to cross it off the list of possibilities.

(and SARTT, if you do want to try that, i would go to Control Panel, System, device Manager and Uninstall the current audio driver first)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are things to try:

1) Test your speakers to be sure they still work.

2) Try another pair of speakers if your not sure the ones you are using still work.

3) With the PC off, ensure your using the correct (usually green) sound input for your speakers & that they are on (if they are amplified) speakers.

4) Right-Click My Computer/Properties, & Device Manager. Install correct drivers if yellow ? exists, & enable if it's disabled.

5) Check your audio on the PC in the taskbar next to the clock. Ensure it is enabled & the volume is 100%.

6) Some PC's have built in audio vs soundcard. Sometimes one or the other will be enabled. Be sure your using the correct audio.

7) If using built in audio, check that it's enabled in the BIOS.

8) Go to Control Panel/Users & create a new user. Test if audio works under the new account to eliminate profile corruption possibility.

9) Check if audio works in Safe Mode by tapping f8 key about once per second on power on to bring up safe mode option.

If any of these work, let us know. If they do not, let us know. If worst comes to worst & you have nothing mission critical on your PC, can always reset Windows.