Ccleaner removal method question

simon1

Hi all,

I have been wondering for a while for what reason does the Ccleaner program has to run twice for cleaning up the items it finds on my laptop. It always start by collecting the items and showing around 800 mb on my laptop, after pressing the Run cleaner, then it shows the same amount again and have to press the Run cleaner to clean the items it has gathered. Sometimes after running it twice it shows some few items that are left over (a few mb) and have to run it again in order to clean the whole items.

Can someone explain:

Why does it have to run the same operation at least twice to clean the items?

Also after when it has cleaned, are they all removed from the PC?

thanks for your time and your consideration.

Welcome to the Piriform forum.

That is not something I have ever observed. I run CCleaner, and that's it. If I run it again, it finds nothing.

What is your Windows version?

What is your CCleaner version?

Hi, simon1. Try this...after you run ccleaner, click the "Analyze" button again. When I did it, the window showed empty for the second "analyze".

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Some software will automatically re-create files after they're deleted, such as AVG Antivirus re-creating certain .LOG files. However if you're getting 800MB worth it could perhaps be locked files, corrupt Temporary Internet Files, etc., that CCleaner can't deal with.

Ever since I switched to Win7 (since 2010) it collects at least 500 mb, and I usually run it once a week. When it was running on XP (on my older laptop) it collected less than 100 mb.

Also I have deactivated "the saved passwords", but it does remove all the passwords I use for several accounts except my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts.

It also shows items that has been used by Firefox (which I don't have it on my laptop) and is listed when it has analyzed.

But when cleaning the registry it cleans at the first step and no need to run it again.

login123... I try your advice next time I run ccleaner.

• Moderators

I could be wrong but I think Simon is expecting the files display window to be "clear" after "Running" CCleaner.

When you "Analyse", CCleaner shows all files which are "To be deleted" as shown here ...

After "Running" CCleaner the display window will usually show the same files, but this time the display is showing "Details of files deleted" ...

The window doesn't actually clear, but will be clear the next time you launch CCleaner.

Using Logins suggestion will clear the window of all the recently deleted files, but there may be one or two which Windows has created in the short time it takes you to do this. Maybe not.

Of course I could be wrong with my guess at what Simon is expecting to see after "Running" CCleaner.

Dennis, that is exactly what I experience and expect the software to do, which is to show a clear page after removal of those items as it does after cleaning the registry.

So if thats what the software do, then I have to get used to it as it works and know its messages.

• Moderators

I think it has to work that way Simon, as not everyone carries out an "Analyse" before "Running" CCleaner, which means that after pressing the "Run CCleaner" button there has to be an indication as to the details of the files deleted.

A blank window wouldn't be very useful.

There's a pretty good help file avaialble for CCleaner (and other Piriform software) available here if you haven't seen it ...

http://www.piriform.com/docs