both a wired a wireless network

oli

ok this is what i want to do, i tried doing it a little while ago but i could not get it to work. what i want to do is have a computer that connects to a wireless network and the is connected to another computer via an ethernet cable. i tried doing this before but i would try and share the local area connection the wireless network would be lost. does anyone know how to do this.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

Before you share your internet connection can you connect to the internet and also connect to your other computer as well?

I had sort of the same setup with my laptop a while back (wired cable to my xbox and wireless internet connection though a router, although I never shared the internet through it). The only thing that game me trouble was trying to have both on the same subnet. What I had to do was have my router give my wireless connection a subnet of 1 and set my wired connection to a subnet of 0. For example, my wireless network used 192.168.1.1 while my wired connection used the ip 192.168.0.1. Aside from that I dont kno since I dislike most any microsoft service, especially potentially unsecure internet connection sharing.

Install 2 network cards on the pc connected to the net, make sure you have 2 functioning ethernet ports, and connect with a crossover cable. Microsoft forgot to mention the 2 cards. Bear in mind that sharing the connection means sharing it's ability, so there is not much to be gained with a slow connection except slower.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

(maybe you could try one of those USB key things. Never tried one though)

26012[/snapback]

I bought one from Netgear a while back, and it works great! I don't understand why anyone would spend the money on a PCMCIA wireless card (or a PCI adapter, for that matter). My USB adapter has identical range and speed, and I'm not limited to using it in only a notebook or desktop; I can use it in both. Also, buying a USB adapter doesn't cost a dime more than one for PCI (-X) or PCMCIA slot.

If you're going to get a new wireless adapter, and you have a free USB 2.0 port, don't hesitate to buy one.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Thanks for that lokoike. Those are actually a little less expensive to right?

26016[/snapback]

I'm not sure. Mine is a 108 Mbps, and it cost about $50 (but I got it on sale; I think it's usually closer to $70). I was at Staples today, and I saw some PCI 108 Mbps adapters for about $70, so maybe the USB ones are a little cheaper.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

the reason i need to connect it in this way is because it it my xbox. and as far as i know there are no wireless adapters that will work with it. i will try that thing with the thing with changing the subnet thing, thank you.

also i dont like those usb adapters, iv never used one but it looks like if a gentle breeze came it would snap off

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am