Some questions about the $RECYCLE.BIN, RECYCLER and found.000 folders on my external HDD

Greger

Hello all!

I just discovered three hidden folders on my external HDD, after I'd unchecked the "Hide protected system files" in folder options. As the topic says - one $RECYCLE.BIN, one RECYCLER and one found.000 folder.

So...

1.) In the $RECYCLE.BIN folder, I found två empty recyclers. Yet, right clicking and checking properties they are both 4kb each. Is that the amount of space the recyclers themselves take up, then?

2.) Right clicking and checking properties on the RECYCLER folder, it says it contain 8 files. However, entering the folder, there are only four recyclers with various names but similar sizes. The file names begin with S-1-5-21-4242425(...), and such. However, checking the Disk Cleanup option on the external drive, it said that the recycler consists of 0kb.

3.) In the found.000 folder, there were two sub-folders and one file named file.0000.chk (0kb, yet right clicking/properties said otherwise). I did a quick search on the internets and found out it was safe to delete, and so I did.

So, as a person who uses CCleaner and Recuva to securely delete files and wipe free space from time to time, are these hidden folders and recycle-files of any concern? Should I delete them, or just let them be?

• Moderators

All external drives have these recycle bins. They are hidden by default to stop people messing with them, or panicking when they find them :)

If I remember right there will be one bin per user.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

@Gregor -> To add to Hazelnut's reply, let them be. Do you need them? Maybe. More info below:

- Turn off Recycle Bins: Right-click desktop recycle bin/properties/select each you want to turn off. You can keep them if you need, or disable to free space.

- Turn off System Restore: Right-click desktop My Computer/properties/system restore/select drive to disable. Turn off on the drives you need more space on.

* Having multiple drives with enabled system restore & recycle bins can cause slight performance degradation. Additionally, trying to "Restore" an external drive will revert all connected drives. Hence, System Restore is only recommended for the drive with your OS. You can see the problems it has the potential to cause when using on any other drive, since all connected drives will be "Restored" as well. Anytime your restoring your main OS, safe eject disconnect all of your external drives to prevent that they lose data while they are also "Restored".

System Restore info included, because usage on external drives an eat up space & cause fragmentation. Also, it is a waste of space on external drive for the reasons listed above. Recycle Bins may be kept per drive, depending on your choice. I usually leave recycle bins on, but turn off all but the main OS System Restore on mine.

I not only turn it off on external drives,

but I also remove and replace their folders "System Volume Information" by files with the same name.

I did that because I was so ticked off with the occasional start-up Gotcha that delayed start-up connection to the External Drive,

and when it did connect Windows would see the drive as a new arrival of an NTFS device that must again be enrolled for System Restore Monitoring,

and finding a file with that special name put a stop to its nonsense :lol: