Make it easier to remove unused entries from uninstalled apps.

norel

Could you guys consider making it easier to remove old entries from applications that have been uninstalled? Very often they don't automatically drop off and CCleaner gets cluttered. I like the way you can just delete entries from the Startup list. It would be fantastic if something like this was implemented in the main interface.

• Moderators

This is not the fault of CCleaner, when these "hang onner" programs are removed they are leaving behind files, folders or registry entries.

The following Instructions may require registry editting

Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.

If you run this command

"C:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner.exe" /export

(the " marks are important, replace c:\program files\ccleaner with your ccleaner location and ccleaner.exe with the 64bit version, if needed)

this will produce three files ini (Winapp, Winsys and Winreg). Open winapp in notepad, wordpad, word or other txt reader and search for the programs still listed that you have uninstalled

under detect or detectfile for the entry is what you need to find, either on the computer Hard drive or within the registry (run regedit.exe)

EXAMPLE

[Adobe Acrobat 8.0]
ID=2022
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0
Default=True
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles
FileKey1=%localappdata%\Adobe\Acrobat\8.0\Cache\Search80|*.*

if you remove these items they will no longer show in CCleaner

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I know it's not CCleaner's fault. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm just suggesting, if it's possible, that CCleaner make these leftover entries easier to delete from the main interface. I finally figured out how to locate the path so I could edit the registry and get rid of them that way, but it seems absurd to me that a person should have to go to all that trouble. Is it really that hard to make it possible to just delete them from the interface?

This might not be that hard, but then you would probably have users who used it to "uninstall" programs. Which would then leave the program parts of it still installed because they just deleted the registry parts of it.

I like your idea, though. I hate "ghost" entries that you "cannot" get rid of!

• Moderators

Superfast's was also my thought

however the Developers do readd all suggestions and often add some to the program so this may be added at some point if people want it and it seems a viable/programable feature.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com