Driver for Printer

braddx

Anyone know how/where I can download a printer driver for a HP Laser Jet 1020 printer? The disk it came with (3 years ago) isn't working. I switched from XP PRO to XP Home. After that, the printer stopped working. HP won't talk to me snce it's out of warranty (they want $60).

Other sites offering drivers seem like scams. Any help appreciated.

• Moderators

I actually had to switch my 1020 from one XP PC to another as it stopped working completly. Now (on the second computer) the Printer works fine but everytime I turn it on the driver says failed to load. . . which doesn't seem to effect the use of it whatsoever.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks nodles - I clicked on the link and it turrned out to be an ad for driver update. About $30. The printer-spooler fix was about $35. If possible, I'm trying to avoid paying because I have no way of knowing whether these sites are legit.

Thanks nodles - I clicked on the link and it turrned out to be an ad for driver update. About $30. The printer-spooler fix was about $35. If possible, I'm trying to avoid paying because I have no way of knowing whether these sites are legit.

I could not see any such adverts.

I saw information relevant to your problem on Nodle's link target,

and also on that page numerous links to other pages of site information,

plus an obvious advert link that offered me "customized drink coolers"

Either my browser gives me better protection from adverts,

or Google knows more than it should about your needs :rolleyes:

Nodles asked "Is your Printer Spooler -service Started & Automatic?" and gave you a link to a page that told about the service.

I am NOT saying this will solve your problem, but it could be relevant to your problem,

and I certainly cannot see anywhere on the page that I could click and be offered and update for $30 or a fix for $35.

I have to suggest the possibility that your broser was subverted or perhaps a DNS poison attack.

Right in the middle of the screen that Nodles link gave I see

Print Spooler Service

Service Name Spooler Process Name spoolsv.exe Default Settings XP Home : Manual XP Pro : Manual XP Pro w/SP2 : Automatic Microsoft Service Description Loads files to memory for later printing. Dependencies Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Real World Description We used to call this the print que, but spooler works also. Is this service needed?

Possibly

Recommended Setting:

Automatic

Note Updated to reflect SP2 changes.

What this doesn't tell you is that if you have it disabled your printers won't work. Of course, if you don't have a printer (local or network) then kill this service.

Disabled ab-blocking etc. so I could check. Ads / areas for ads were pretty clear & ordinary for webpages like that, the site itself doesn't ask money from you. You've just misclicked an ad there or something.

Do you get any error message while installing drivers or while trying to print?