Palemoon (stable Firefox) - 32 and 64 bit

Alan_B

I am at the moment using 32 bit Palemoon 8.0 Portable.

The only reason I have not tried 64 bit is that I have not yet checked out whether my preferred Addons and Plugins are available for 64 bit.

I was on Firefox 9 and use the same extensions, but Firefox has become unstable and busted.

Some days Firefox cannot access Gmail unless I select the "basic" mode which is horrendous.

Consistently Palemoon is putting red squiggles under my typos - Even when I know better :) .

Firefox used to give squiggles but that stopped a month or two ago,

I guess some things get broken with progress,

but it is worse than disappointing that the last Firefox update never bothered to disable the Dictionary or even warn that it was not compatible

Both Firefox and Palemoon have the extension "British English Dictionary R1.19"

Yes, I considered when you posted but I was only prepared to "install" a portable variant that would be no more, without registry remnants, if I chose to remove its files.

Sourceforge is a good place to get installed software, and also to get the code and compile for myself,

but they tend not to offer pre-compiled Portable software.

Right now I envisage scrapping the Installed Firefox altogether and using only Palemoon.

I therefore expect a lot more junk to be created and have just searched for a post a vaguely remember

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=32359

From that I got Nergals link to

http://www.piriform....zilla-browsers.

If that fails to clean as effectively on portable as it can on installed software, then I will reconsider my priorities,

and if I go for non-portable I will evaluate Waterfox.

I also intend before then to try 64 bit Palemoon to see if all my extensions are still functional.

It is the extension compatibility that will determine whether I will advance from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Gmail normally works without any qualification.

When Firefox is in stupid mode then Gmail cannot load my emails,

it just sits spinning for a while and on bottom right corner shows it is loading in HTML mode but I can click to use "Basic" mode.

If I just wait it eventually times out, and suggests I need its Basic mode,

and when I select Gmails "Basic" mode then I see my emails.

Last month when Gmail could only be basic,

I could create a post in this forum,

but if I previewed and decided to revise I found what had been a nice message was cluttered with something like HTML tags.

Firefox had lost some compatibility with this forum, but normally could display all posts well,

However sometimes it could not display existing topics properly,

but only give plain text in very small characters on the extreme left of the screen.

Basic mode had no effect on Addons / Extensions such as LastPass and Foxmarks - it was just a Google/Gmail application setting.

Firefox can read my mind :rolleyes:

I got so fed up with it I decided to plug in my Boot CD and restore a Partition image from happier times,

and immediately FIrefox was on best behaviour before I could find the CD

Just in case you want to give it a go

http://www.overclock...efox-64-bit/270

Thanks, I will see how that works.