Shutdown after clean doesn't work when screen saver locks screen

rjo98

Has anyone else noticed that the "shutdown after clean" option doesn't always work if the laptop stays inactive for a while and the screen locks waiting for you to enter your password to unlock it. I'm not sure if this is by design, or maybe just a flukey thing, as ccleaner usually doesnt run that long on my PC to where the screen locks. Just wonder if anyone else has noticed that or anything.

• Moderators

more information

what operating system?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

With both Macrium and Acronis it is possible under Live Windows to restore System partition C:\,

but they do so after shutting down Windows, possibly via some code that they put in RAM.

With both I have seen restoration delayed or blocked and Windows continues to run because it is unable to close,

and generally the event log would report an application that refused to terminate.

I am pretty sure that if the screen saver is on and a password is needed it is NOT for the benefit of the screensaver

but is an authentication requirement before Windows will budge.

Windows is protecting the user from having his HDD data stolen by a casual visitor

Windows is protecting the user from having his RAM RESIDENT WORK IN PROGRESS from destruction by a casual visitor.

I think it perfectly correct that once a password is required the system should hang till it is given.

I would guess the problem is that Windows does not recognise that CCleaner is still trying to clean the system and so goes to sleep.

Perhaps a Windows resource hangup.

Perhaps a Windows/CCleaner communication foul-up.