How to maximise free space at slow end of disc ?

Alan_B

I am cautiously working on a friend's 32 bit VISTA Laptop.

C:\ has 70 GB Used in a 240 GB HDD, and this needs to shrink and make way for an extra partition, hopefully 100+ GB

Vista Disc Management can only shrink C:\ by 20 GB due to un-moveable outlook.pst near the slow end.

I want to shift this *.pst and its neighbours so Vista can give C:\ a 100+ GB shrink.

There is 11 GB in 989 fragmented files.

I envisage a normal Defrag followed by a Boot defrag,

but would appreciate confirmation or correction

Regards

Alan

Doesn't "Defrag Freespace" move this file??

Richard S.

I do not know.

Windows native Disc Management will shrink the partition above this file but cannot shift this file itself.

It refers to unmoveable files and cites Pagefile.sys

If Defraggler can defrag AND RELOCATE the Pagefile.sys I think it should move this *.PST file,

but I have little hope that anything running UNDER Windows would be more powerful than Windows Disc management.

I believe Boot Defrag is intended to deal with files that are locked in position by Windows and should be the way to go.

But I do not know if I should start with a normal defrag under Windows.

My own system is reasonable compact and defragged and has partition images that give me confidence.

My friend's Vista has as yet no backup images hence I look for advice.

Regards

Alan

Doesn't "Defrag Freespace" move this file??

Richard S.

I believe, last time I had this problem, that it was not moved by defraggler.

Maybe things have changed since then, although I doubt this specific problem was addressed yet...

That would definitely be great to have Defraggler able to do that, so a user can divide their drive properly!

I believe that for safety defraggers use published API's to move stuff around,

and the difference between one defragger and another is the defragger developer's code that chooses what to do and in what sequence.

A few decades ago Application developers were unhappy that Microsoft used uncompetitive practices when entering the markets the developers created.

Microsoft were developing and using "secret" mechanisms in the operating system so their own applications had a far more effective O.S.

The European Union decided to take action and break up Microsoft.

I forget all the details and the consequences, but I believe Microsoft would fear the consequences if they used unpublished API's in the Windows Defragger.

I also believe that Microsoft would not publish an API that enabled a third party to develop a better product than Microsoft.

Were a third party to use "insider knowledge" to create a "super API" the chances are that it could get broken by the next security patch ! !

I am not expecting any defrag operation under Windows to touch "unmoveable" files.

I am expecting to move such files when NOT under Windows, i.e. during BOOT before Windows.

My experience with previous defraggers was that a BOOT DEFRAG focussed upon the unmoveable,

and "left undone those things that ought to be done" with the expectation they would be done under Windows.

I think it "appeared" better to defrag under Windows before the BOOT defrag to reduce the duration of the flurry of unfriendly cryptic messages,

and then after the Boot defrag perform a further defrag under Windows.

How should I use Defraggler ?

Under Windows then under BOOT then under Windows again,

or some other way ?