hangs

Hi there

CCleaner just hangs on IE and will not finish cleaning I have left it run for awhile.can somebody help with this problem.My friend has used this program and has no problems .I have read some of the posts and if it's a update I'm not sure at all which one t isbecause ccleaner hasn't worked for a awhile..please help.. :(

• Moderators

Can you say which build of ccleaner you are using, also which operating system you have.

Using IE8 or IE9?

Can you see what is actually on the ccleaner screen when it gets 'stuck'

Virus/malware applications all up to date and scans clean?

Have you tried using the built in IE cleaning to kickstart things? (In IE go to tools-Internet options-and under the General tab click delete browsing history.]

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi

I'm using Internet Explorer 8. I tried numerous of times to delete history from options/tools delete history and just also hangs doesn't go anywhere..Also on CCleaner the option of drive wipe is checked off..If I unclick history it does run..I've also unintalled ccleaner and reinstalled and samething happens..Not sure what else to do..anymore help would appreciate..

P.S.also all scans come up clean and up to date..

thanks

I do not think it possible for CCleaner to avoid a hang if IE8 itself hangs when trying to clean itself.

What version of Windows are you using ?

Hi ,

It is windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2..

If it is IE8 problem do you have any suggestions how to fix this problem ?

• Moderators

If you open IE8 and click on tools and select internet options.

Then under the general tab where it says ''browsing history select 'settings' and then click 'view files'

See anything that looks odd?

Also have a read here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

This may be an option for you in case something has gotten corrupted.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 years later...

DEAR HAPPY101,

I FOUND THE ANSWER. I know your post was 2011, but a search for "CC hangs" comes up with this thread FIRST in google. FIRST of all, I'm a big fan of CCleaner. Thanks for making a difference in this world!

SECOND, help for everyone who's searching for a solution to your issue, the EXACT same issue I faced for the past few days. THE SOLUTION IS EASY.  But first, a brief explanation:

YES, CC seems to hang at "Internet Explorer", but that's only because that's one of the very first areas that's cleaned by CCleaner. I tried all different solutions, and the only one I found actually  immediately solved my problem was ADDING CCleaner folder as an EXCEPTION to your Windows Security Essentials. 

'Nuf talk! The SOLUTION is simple. JUST DO THIS:

1. Open Windows Security Essentials
  2. Go to Settings tab
  3. Go down to "Excluded files & locations"
  4. Then add the CCleaner folder as an excluded location by hitting "BROWSE" button, then browse to (usually):  C:\Program Files:\CCleaner   ....and hit "ADD". It'll then show up in the lower pane.

That's it. Now Windows Security Essentials won't stop CCleaner every time it's trying to clean your computer and make your life simpler! (P.S. This same exclusion "trick" is really helpful for OTHER folders for programs that you know & trust where you don't want constant interference).

Hope this helps....and wow...just in time for Christmas! Did my good deed, lol. Good luck everyone.