CCleaner Erases Windows Live Messenger Cache

I have noticed that using CCleaner erases Windows Live Messenger avatars and also personalized background pictures and colour schemes.

I have un-checked the option to clean Windows Live Messenger in the CCleaner Applications tab and the issue remains.

I consulted Windows Live Support and because CCleaner is third-party software the issue is not covered, nor will they tell me which Windows folder contains the cache preferences.

Specifics to my system:

Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)

Also happens in Windows 7 Ultimate (Service Pack 1)

Windows Live Messenger Version 2009 (build 14.0.8117.416)

I am hoping there is a workable solution to this issue.

Can someone at Piriform check this issue out?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Have a look here, and if the sub folder names match up with the contacts which have been tampered with, try excluding this folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts"

Open the CCleaner "Options\Exclude" window and drag the folder into it.

This is with XP, and you'll probably have to activate "View Hidden Files And Folders" to navigate to it.

Hope that helps, but post back if it doesn't.

EDIT: There's a more likely candidate to check out first, in the same folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger"

I almost missed that obvious one as the "Live Contacts" folder caught my eye first.

I think the Exclusion folder in Documents and Settings did the trick.

As far as maintaining the Contact's personal images, I'll have to wait until they repopulate to see if they are kept.

So far, the personalized colour schemes "are" kept.

Thanks for the great info.

:D

---------------------------------

Have a look here, and if the sub folder names match up with the contacts which have been tampered with, try excluding this folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts"

Open the CCleaner "Options\Exclude" window and drag the folder into it.

This is with XP, and you'll probably have to activate "View Hidden Files And Folders" to navigate to it.

Hope that helps, but post back if it doesn't.

EDIT: There's a more likely candidate to check out first, in the same folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger"

I almost missed that obvious one as the "Live Contacts" folder caught my eye first.