Lng time to defrag disc - is this normal

James Howells

I have used the windows fragmentation apps over several years but decided to try defraggler but it has been running 30 hours continuously now - this can not be right -

It is still clocking up the numbers . sloooowly still only 34% complete !

I have 1TB hard disk that is 70% free space I thought it would be quick

I have three other , smaller hard drives that I have recently,removed a lot of duplication from ccleaned and so I wanted to de-fragment them but this apps seem so slow

O/s Windows 7

Is this normal ?

Is this normal ?

You are not alone -- other posters have complained of long defrag times. If you are concerned and need to use your computer you can always abort, and upon restart it will continue where you left off.

I've not experienced this because I do file-only defrag. Welcome to the forum. :)

No, I don't think it's normal. For me the strength of Defraggler is the Quick Defrag and GUI based file level defrag. The full defrag runs considerably quicker than Win 7 defrag, in my experience, despite it liking to compact data. I have seen cases where defrag seems to get stuck, re-defragging certain files, and there are reports on forum of long defrag times for full defrag.

I partition my disk, to make even full defrag fairly quick, so I'm not sure on expected performance with TB filesystems.

• 2 weeks later...

just fyi,

true that 30 hours is way too long.

in my experience, Defraggler (v2.0.2) is fast on all my internal and external disks, EXCEPT for my 1 TB external USB.

It is about 3 or 4 times (or more) slower on it than any other of my disks -- all my other HD drives are less than 1TB.

So my guess is that Defraggler is slow on 1 TB sized disks.

There might well be some other factors, but that seems to be the main differentiator in my experience.

I have posted a separate help topic on this, but so far, no answer back from anyone. :(

My topic link

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

USB 2.0 (if it's operating at that speed) is slower than IDE / SATA therefore defragging files will take time.

Personally I wouldn't bother defragging an external drive because the slow USB speed would mean it would take the same amount of time to transfer a fragmented file as one that's not fragmented.

Richard S.

USB 2.0 (if it's operating at that speed) is slower than IDE / SATA therefore defragging files will take time.

Personally I wouldn't bother defragging an external drive because the slow USB speed would mean it would take the same amount of time to transfer a fragmented file as one that's not fragmented

Good point! The "Quick Defrag" would suffice to catch any small heavily fragmented files to catch cases where defragging really helps alot.