Does Prefetch always make things faster

Alan_B

I have just searched for plugin-container.exe

and found that it is a 15 KB file in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

and it also comes with 61 KB file PLUGIN-CONTAINER.EXE-1EEFD8BD.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

When I launch Firefox these plugin* things never run or update,

not even when I use Lastpass and sign in to this forum.

But when I use Lastpass to sign in to my Gmail account,

Task manager shows that plugin-container.exe process is immediately launched,

and the 61 KB *.pf file is immediately modified.

I do not know what sort of mischief Google and Gmail are up to that requires Firefox to raise the crash barrier,

and explanations would be appreciated - I can only think of bad things ! !

What I really would like to know is how and why prefetch can make things faster.

I find it counter intuitive that when Firefox wants to activate a 15 KB crash barrier,

then Windows will first load and decode some peculiar file that is 4 times the size.

I am just as inclined to believe that this will be make things faster,

as I believe I will save Tinkerbell if I clap my hands to show I believe in fairies ! !

Incidentally, I find that the prefetch folder contains 94 objects which are all modified between 5th and 19 th August, with the exception of NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf which was last modified 24 December 2008, 19:38:35.

It seems to be retained because it is supposed to be important, but has never been modified since I replaced a 30 GB HDD with a new 160 GB HDD about 2 years ago, and restored on the new drive the C:\ partition backup image that had been created before the exchange.

Regards

Alan

The prefetch will pretty much always speed up the loading of exes. The "google mischief" you are talking about:

By default, the plugins enabled to run "out-of-process" are the NPAPI test plugin, Adobe Flash, Apple QuickTime (Windows) and Microsoft Silverlight (Windows).

At any rate, my plugin-container seems to start with firefox, so I don't know what to tell you. (Running FF4b3)

I too have FF 4.0b3

I have very few Addons, and on launch my home page is blank.

Perhaps Google/Gmail uses Flash and that triggers the need for crash protection,

and maybe Piriform is one of the good guys that avoids using Flash with its zombie cookies etc.

I am able to "clap my hands and believe" that prefetch may improve synchronisation and speed of launch when crash protection is launched at the same time as Firefox.

Perhaps what is designed to be good for you now has a down side for me ! !

NB Twice M.$. offered Silverlight as part of the urgent Patch Tuesday security update.

Each time I declined the download, and each time they still downloaded their EULA which seems to authorise :-

M.$ and its associates (no definition shown) the right to extract information from P.C. and share with others;

and install undefined software without notice or additional authorisation.

Regards

Alan