Disaster? Advanced Options accidentally selected

maryclaire

I clicked the little shield next to the advanced options on v2.31.1153 thinking that doing so would provide information. I was wrong of course, and all the little boxes under advanced were selected. I ran CCleaner without noticing this and now I am frightened of having caused immense harm. Am I right to be concerned (OK, hysterical)?

Thank you in advance for any information.

• Moderators

If you use Windows XP about the only extra thing that may be concerning would be the removal of the Hotfix Uninstallers which would make it impossible to remove a previous Microsoft/Windows Update if any of them are causing a problem.

Also Wipe Free Space wouldn't have even worked if you didn't also have it configured and enabled in Options->Settings, and neither would Custom Files and Folders if you didn't have anything configured in Options->Include. The rest of the stuff listed under Advanced will just repopulate itself over time like Prefetch Data, Tray Notifications Cache, etc.

You can read more about the features at http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner My link to find out if you want to use System Restore to undo anything.

Thank you so very much, Andavari. Before posting my plea for help I visited http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner but, alas, I was/am unable to comprehend it.

You are right, I do have Windows XP so I'll see if my husband is somehow able to recover the Hotfix Uninstallers from Norton Ghost. (He is not going to be thrilled.)

Again, thank you. You are very kind to reply so fully and so rapidly.

:)

The Hotfix Uninstaller probably don't need to be restored - if you haven't got any problems so far, then you'll just have to uncheck it next time. ;)

Piriform French translator

The Hotfix Uninstaller probably don't need to be restored ... ;)

Thank you, too, Aethec. From your and Andavari's advice I know I should not clean "Hotfix Uninstallers," "Wipe Free Space" or "Old PreFetch Data." Although I may have future issues as a result of my stupid mistake--Piriform did its best to warn me off--the only result I have noticed so far is that my computer is running MUCH MUCH faster.

(My husband looked into using system restore for me but he didn't feel comfortable launching it. I hope he's right: he claims we can always do should a problem develop.)

I cleaned up my registry yesterday, and noticed that a game folder was still in the system file. I typed the name of the game and manufacturer of the game in find in regedit and Bohemia and Arma 2 came up. I Had previously uninstalled Arma 2 from the start menu.

I though ccleaner deleted all files that are unassociated with a working product?

(My husband looked into using system restore for me but he didn't feel comfortable launching it. I hope he's right: he claims we can always do should a problem develop.)

The longer you wait before doing a WINDOWS system restore, the more the system changes that will need to be undone, and the greater the risk something goes wrong.

Wait long enough and the old information will get deleted and you will never be able to go back that far.

Using Norton Ghost you should be able to restore the whole system as it was, but you may wish to first backup all the documents, music, etc. that will be lost as the P.C. is returned to the earlier date.

I never need to un-install hotfixes because I wait a week or so before permitting any patches or hotfixes, and watch the internet for howls of protest from the "early adopters".

I would suggest that if you have never needed to un-install a hotfix, you can hope for luck.

N.B. All my hotfixes have recent dates. It looks as though each and every hotfix was purged when SP3 was installed on my XP Home SP3.

It is 7 years old and still going strong.

Alan