Win7 Compatibiltiy

tomcatonnet99

some of the great freeware that have been listed in the 'freeware' section of the forum that could be used with Win7?? Also if we could start categorizing freeware that work in Win 7 environment and a 64 bit environment specific versions as well.... thought it would be a great compilation to have as a ready reference if everybody could maintain the same format one for Win7 32 and Win7 64 ?? Your thoughts / suggestions....

cheers!

Nearly all (= all, except the ones installing drivers/shell extensions) x86 software will work in an x64 edition of Windows.

Same for XP => 7 . Unless a program is deeply into the OS or really badly coded, all software working on XP will work on 7.

However, a list of native x64 freeware would be nice :)

Piriform French translator

Same for XP => 7 . Unless a program is deeply into the OS or really badly coded, all software working on XP will work on 7.

I don't think so. Many softwares have different versions for Windows 7. Different coding, GUI, etc. is different.

IMO, the freeware app list should be gone through and sorted out in different categories. I think the list is just too big for someone to scan through. It will be major work, but will be worth it.

|Utilities|Games|Audio|Video|Antivirus|

^ something like that.

Simplicity is hard.

If you don't mind giving some examples...I can't think of any program that has a special Win7 version (except, of course, things like Tweak7) :unsure:

Do I need Windows XP Mode?

Windows 7 has several built-in tools to help with program compatibility and Windows XP programs should be installed directly on Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs some older productivity programs that might not run on Windows 7. Visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center to find software that works with Windows 7.

Source

1. Those 'few' softwares which require compatibility modes, will not have native support for Windows 7, and will have glitches here and there, as small as they might be.

2. Speaks for itself.

Plus, these don't come under softwares, but drivers? And yeah "badly coded" softwares. :)

I am providing just an add-on for your answer, not proving you wrong! ;)

Simplicity is hard.

Well, the XP mode is mainly for enterprises. Some have old software that even XP has troubles running, or intranet web apps written for IE6 ;)