Stupid (but important) question from Newbie

judy1997

Hello All. A computer guy who came out to work on my computer installed the CCleaner on it, and said to run it periodically. My computer has been slow lately, so I clicked on CC to run it, and noticed that it has several applications marked, such as MS office pic manager, adobe acrobat, MS office 2003, MS office 2007, and so on. And after I click 'analyze', it says there's 772.2 MB to be removed. That's a lot! So I'm trying to figure out just what it will be removing from the applications. The applications themselves?! I'm assuming that can't be, but my luck it would be, so that's my question -- what exactly does the CCleaner do to applications in particular when you run it?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the CCleaner Forum.

It's a good policy to ask first, before pressing any buttons you don't know what they do.

A question: do you have the latest CCleaner 2.32.1165 ?

If so, run Analyze, then when you see the results, you can right-click on each line and select 'View detailed results'. This will show you exactly what will be removed.

It is never the application itself; it is usually temporary files that are no longer required.

But you can tailor some of the applications (using the 'Applications' tab), so that you select what will be removed. For instance web browsers, you can select (or deselect) Cookies, Internet History, etc.

Especially when it comes to cookies, you may want to keep certain cookies, e.g. login cookies. Go to Options | Cookies, and you can select which cookies you want to keep (on the left side), and which ones to delete (on the right side). This configuration usually only needs to be done once, so that login cookies you want to keep will never be deleted.

Feel free to ask if anything is not clear, or if you have further questions. :)

Just to clarify, what I wrote above is for the 'Cleaner' section of CCleaner.

If you go to the 'Tools' section, there indeed you can uninstall applications. This can be useful for applications that cannot be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs.

I recommend that you only use the 'Cleaner' function (and Options|Cookies configuration) until you are more familiar with CCleaner.

ishan_rulz, I did read through the material at the link you provided before posting, but didn't see where my question was answered (or didn't recognize the answer when I saw it.) That's why forums like this are so wonderful -- people like me who are utterly hopeless with technology can actually get help! ;)

Oh, well this is what CCleaner does:

Privacy: Delete passwords, Internet files, configuration files, and remove System Restore points from a shared PC.

Security: Clean out files from a PC you're giving away or selling. You can also wipe free space so the remnants of any files you deleted previously will be erased forever.

Speed: Speed up your computer by removing unneeded files. Speed up boot times by reducing the number of programs that start with Windows.

Stability: Enable Windows to run more smoothly with a clean Registry.

Space: Free up hard drive space by deleting unnecessary files.

Simplicity is hard.

Just make sure you don't touch the Registry Cleaner.

uh-oh. why not?

Some people are obsessed with registry cleaning; some people (like me) simply don't believe in registry cleaning doing anything useful.

If you don't have any problems with your computer, there is no need to mess with the registry. Removing useless registry entries will not do anything to improve your computer. Removing one wrong registry entry may make your computer completely useless.

If you want to try the registry cleaning section of CCleaner, I recommend to make a full registry backup (ERUNT) or System Restore Point first.

Registry cleaning is always a controversial subject, but I have to say that CCleaner in this respect is one of the safest there is.