Unmountable_Boot_Disk

UCanDream

Hey everyone,

New guy here...so "hi." Anyway, I use CCleaner all the time w/o a hitch. However, my son used it on his Dell laptop and had ALL of the boxes checked when he ran the cleaner and now he can't get Windows (XP) to boot. He only gets the blue screen of death: "Unmountable_Boot_Disk."

I was poking around, Googling this prob and the only thing I could come up with was for him to remove the CMOS battery for 5-10 seconds to reset the system. I seem to remember the old days when- if you removed that battery from your motherboard you effectively killed the CMOS. Then again, I am not sure that was accurate info.

In any event, if any of you ole pros have any ideas I would sure be greatful. I feel pretty crappy about this because I was the one that suggested he use CCleaner and now his computer doesn't work.

You guys, thanks in advance for any help and I do apologize if this has been covered before. I searched for this issue and came up empty handed.

Kind regards,

David, aka UCanDream

Hey E1,

Is there seriously no one that has a clue as to this problem? Nearly 50 ppl have read my post and no responses from any1....'cept myself! LOL.

Thx,

David

UCan Dream;

You seem to forget, there are some of us (yes, like me) that aren't to much brighter than the proverbial "fence Post", so I will do you the GREAT service of not giving poor advice.

I just wanted to let you that we are out here and watching...I'm just not qualified to prove an answer that won't make things worse! :o

Hey everyone,

New guy here...so "hi." Anyway, I use CCleaner all the time w/o a hitch. However, my son used it on his Dell laptop and had ALL of the boxes checked when he ran the cleaner and now he can't get Windows (XP) to boot. He only gets the blue screen of death: "Unmountable_Boot_Disk."

Hi David, welcome to the forums.

Firstly, there's nothing here that tells me CCleaner caused your problem. I say this just as an experienced user, not as a CCleaner fan. Your son used CCleaner. The subsequent reboot failed. But there's no evidence in your post to suggest one caused the other. There's isn't really anything that CCleaner does that might cause such a failure. What exactly makes you think CCleaner might be responsible?

As to your boot problem, here's one post where someone has resolved this issue ... http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/33801..._boot_disk.html

How old is the laptop ... could it just be a hard disk failure?

• Moderators
Hey everyone,

if you mean all boxes as in ccleaner section then i'm going to agree with marmite and can think of no way for ccleaner to be at fault in this

if you mean all boxes as in registry integrity then

1) Try to boot in safemode cmd prompt and run system restore

2) Try to boot from the Windows Disc

and if that fails

3) boot using a linux live cd (google Puppy Linux) copy all his documents et al to an external HDD and reinstall windows

Next time (again this is if he cleaned all registry) follow my signature's advice

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

if you mean all boxes as in ccleaner section then i'm going to agree with marmite and can think of no way for ccleaner to be at fault in this

if you mean all boxes as in registry integrity then ...

Fair point. I read "all the boxes in the cleaner" to mean the normal cleaner part ... not "all the boxes in the reg integrity checker". Maybe the OP even meant both! :blink: