Restore Registry

Ydelta

Would like to have definate instructions on how to restore my backup copy of the registry after cleaning.

I have read the discussion with Nic and answers from others. My head is spinning. There must be an easier way to decipher the 'general' procedures of restoring the backup registry. I will not touch my registry until I know what I the procedures are. Toooo much of a headache!! I have learned........ <_<

Maybe a confirmed 'Help' page would be good! :rolleyes:

Love CCleaner, it has helped me tremendously......KUDOS to the devs!!!!

Thank you so much.....

Ydelta

When you run CCleaner's registry cleaner, a prompt will give you a chance to backup the registry issues found and from there, just click yes.

If you wanna back up the WHOLE registry, open Start Menu, open Run, type regedit, press ENTER and when the Registry Editor window appears, just click File on the menu bar and choose EXPORT. Now you will be asked where to save the backup, just remember where you saved it. By default, the backup will be saved on the My Documents folder.

If you wanna restore a backup, just go to the folder where you kept the registry backups and double click it and from there, they will be restored. They should look like this:

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

When you run CCleaner's registry cleaner, a prompt will give you a chance to backup the registry issues found and from there, just click yes.

If you wanna back up the WHOLE registry, open Start Menu, open Run, type regedit, press ENTER and when the Registry Editor window appears, just click File on the menu bar and choose EXPORT. Now you will be asked where to save the backup, just remember where you saved it. By default, the backup will be saved on the My Documents folder.

If you wanna restore a backup, just go to the folder where you kept the registry backups and double click it and from there, they will be restored. They should look like this:

Thank you, I am still fearful of trying this as this is the same thing Nic did. Seems to me when it is backed up it should be ready to restore without all the 'try this and that', especially since the registry controls the works!!

• Moderators
When you run CCleaner's registry cleaner, a prompt will give you a chance to backup the registry issues If you wanna back up the WHOLE registry, open Start Menu, open Run, type regedit, press ENTER and when the Registry Editor window appears, just click File on the menu bar and choose EXPORT. Now you will be asked where to save the backup, just remember where you saved it.

That old way of "backing up the registry" is to be perfectly blunt a piss poor way and I can't count how many "tweaking and cleaning tools" think that will suffice because it doesn't. The reason is since some settings won't be imported correctly if using it - i.e.; they're locked.

ERUNT is by far much better, as is using System Restore. For people using Win9x systems there's a registry backup utility built into it.