File System Help

Nullack

Gday folks,

Kinda embarressed to ask but its been awhile since I've been on the windows platform and I'm a bit rusty :)

So anyway I had to copy over 1TB of data from an EXT3 partition onto an NTFS Windows 7 partition. It looks like I got about 80% the way through it and then it blue screened by the look of the system logs. So now what I need to do is to only copy whatever files did not copy over fully as well as whatever files did not commence copying over. I'm not sure of the best way to do this???

I was thinking that I should goto the command prompt and use XCOPY?

I dont want to have to spend hours on hours copying bits that are already in the destination. Not sure how this might be done in the GUI.

thanks

Hiya Nullack

xcopy should certainly work okay ... just make sure you go through all of the switches to make sure you set the right ones (like to get hidden/system files etc).

There are lots of options ... ordinary Explorer GUI (not sure how many times you'd need to click the 'don't overwrite' button!).

Also free tools like WinMerge.

But xcopy is probably quickest and most straightfoward - especially if you're comfortable in the command line.

You could always use free WinDiff afterwards to make sure the trees are identical.

Thanks Marmite. As you note, the GUI can be hassle with dialogue prompts which on a long transfer can mean it stis there until I wake up and check it. I decided to end up using robocopy, which seems to be a more current binary that is similar to xcopy but with a few more features. Robocopy worked great :)